Notices

Modifications on 03 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2007, 06:16 PM
mcbainna
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Modifications on 03 WRX

Just bought my first Impreaza after years of dreaming and other than a speeding ticket after 3 days and now having 9 points it's great.

I'm looking at doing some work on the brakes and intake and thought I'd seek some advice from the experts.

The brakes are in serious need of sorting and I was planning to replace the discs and pads front and back. I was also wondering if it was worth fitting braided hoses and replacing the fluid. I will only ever be for road use. Which are the best discs / pads to go for.

I was also thinking of fitting an induction kit and dump valve but is this worthwhile. I was looking at a K&N apollo and an HKS sequential unless there are better options.

I'd appreciate any help anyone could give me.
Old 20 May 2007, 06:40 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Brakes yes, air intake and dump valve definitely NO..! (well apart from a decent panel filter such as K&N/Green).

Braided hoses and decent fluid are a good start along with decent pads. Wouldn't bother with disc's unless/until they need changing. Bear in mind rear disc's also have a drum built in for hand/parking brake.

Spend the money on uprated rear ARB (whiteline 22mm adj) and solid drop links. Note rear only as stiffer rear v front equals less understeer. Top mod, IMHO the best £150 spent..! (easy DIY fit).

Finally do a search as this question has been quite popular recently. Also look at 'View my scoob'..
Old 20 May 2007, 07:11 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wot 'e says Then click to view my Scoob to take it further. With awesome handling my standard WRX PPP easily knobled standard and tuned STi's
Old 20 May 2007, 09:53 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Agree entirely with Jason.

The brakes on my 01 WRX are s/s braided hoses, Dot 5.1 fluid, Pagid fronts and Ferodo rears. Much better feel than originial & far less fade. Oh, and it stops better now too !

Listen to the wise men re the ARB. It's illegal to use it on anything less than the stiffest setting though.
Old 21 May 2007, 08:20 AM
mcbainna
Scooby Newbie

Both the front and rear discs are knackered so all need replacing. I was looking at black diamond but most of the websites quote back discs are 260mm when you search but they are infact 290mm.

Thanks for the advice on the ARB, why no to inducxtion kit and dump valve ?
Old 21 May 2007, 09:17 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

DV gives no power benefit whatsoever, can cause borewash, backfiring, cat and valve damage, erratic running and turbo stall. IK's can reduce power through increased intake temps, cause DET through lean running and MAF failure because of excessive vibration.

Standard discs are good when combined with decent pads (Ferodo/Pagid) and braided lines with DOT5.1 fluid. Try SAP for OE discs.