Help Needed Power FC knock warnings

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2007, 11:01 PM
555_STI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Needed Power FC knock warnings

Hi!

I have been having some problems since I installed some new kit on my 1996 impreza STi 2.

Today we drove on the track, previously I have had problems that at around 6500 RPM I get the CEL light lit (Duty Cycle Warning). I took it easy with the revs and stayed below 6000 and tried to take it easy with the driving until my new injectors get here (havent ordered yet but will soon).

However after a few laps I started getting knock link warnings (fast flashing) at around 3500 - 4000 RPM while accelerating. Of course I took my foot of the throttle right away and they stopped. I couldnt hear anything strange with the engine but this happened 4 - 5 times before I decided to come in and stop driving.

My question is how bad is it? What should I have done/do when this happens? I didnt notice anything strange afterwards no interesting sounds or anything and the warnings stopped on the way home at the same revs. Should I completely take the car off the road now or is there something I can check? Or have I totally FKED up the car?

Appreciate any help!

One scared Impreza owner

Last edited by 555_STI; 18 May 2007 at 11:03 PM. Reason: minors
Old 18 May 2007, 11:22 PM
Gary Track Day RA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

It sounds as though you need your map looking at. I would not be too worried about any damage. That's why you have the knock link, at least you now know something is not right. I'd make your next mods and have it mapped and see how she goes. It could be something silly, bad fuel??

I have only just fitted my knock link, which was after I blew my big ends on the track!!!
Old 18 May 2007, 11:37 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you got the commander? if so your knock readings would be on that you can also get the max reading it has given out since youve been driving it so might give a clearer indication as a flashing CEL could be a number of things Knock,Inj Duty,Overboost etc
Old 19 May 2007, 12:01 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you on the standard map it comes with?

Simon
Old 19 May 2007, 07:39 AM
555_STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
have you got the commander? if so your knock readings would be on that you can also get the max reading it has given out since youve been driving it so might give a clearer indication as a flashing CEL could be a number of things Knock,Inj Duty,Overboost etc
I have got the commander I can go and check that this morning thanks for the tip. As far as I know, the flashing CEL is knock warning, the Duty and Overboost is a solid light instead. Although I could be wrong
Old 19 May 2007, 07:43 AM
555_STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gary Track Day RA
Hi there,

It sounds as though you need your map looking at. I would not be too worried about any damage. That's why you have the knock link, at least you now know something is not right. I'd make your next mods and have it mapped and see how she goes. It could be something silly, bad fuel??

I have only just fitted my knock link, which was after I blew my big ends on the track!!!
I think its a good idea to have a knock link too, I have driven track 2 times before I got my Apexi so I wonder if it could have happened before but hopefully its a bad map as you say.

I dont think its bad fuel, I always use Shell VPower 99 and its normally pretty good.

I just wondered how easy it is to permanantly damage and what I can do. I think checking the map is a definite point
Old 19 May 2007, 07:47 AM
555_STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
Are you on the standard map it comes with?

Simon
Not at the moment, I got the FC from Zen and then took it back home. A local tuning company have mapped the car but then we noticed the Duty Cycle warning up at 6000 RPM (With 1.3 bar boost) so we dropped it back down to 1 bar and the warning came at 6500 instead. Hence the reason for the soon to come injector order

Until yesterday I havent noticed any knock warnings, but then again on the track driving is a little more intense, so I can imagine once it gets warm it happens easier (if I understand right). I guess I have to get them to check the map.

Cheers

Steve
Old 20 May 2007, 11:43 AM
555_STI
Scooby Regular

Could it be due to my pretty innefficient std STi 2 TMIC that the knocking starts once it starts to get warm there?

In that case maybe when I get my FMIC installed it could help a bit.. or am I off?