Notices

Cold taping/ticking

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2007, 04:32 PM
Pittys sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cold taping/ticking

Hello. I've recently bought a version 7, import, bug eye Sti with 15k miles. I bought it off a friend who lost his license three years ago and it's more or less been stood up since then. When I collecected it I took it straight to a garage and had the oil and filter changed (using 10/60w).

However since I've had it it makes a slight Tapping / Quiet knocking noise when cold. It doesn't go when I heat the car up on idle, but when a drive it a mile or so it go's completely, even from cold. The garage that changed the oil said They're just "cammy" engines and it go's when I'm driving because the oil pressure rises more quickly than idle.

Has anyone else had this with they're car and if so can it be cured? If not got any ideas what it could be? Any help would be really appreciated. Gonna start Modding it if it's okay!
Old 12 May 2007, 05:16 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Its likely to be the forged internals, they can be a bit slack when cold to allow for expansion when warm. Nothing to worry about
Old 12 May 2007, 05:37 PM
Pittys sti
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate. Thought i might of bought a lemon! Is there any affordable way of curing it?
Old 12 May 2007, 05:53 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Pittys sti
Hello. I've recently bought a version 7, import, bug eye Sti with 15k miles. I bought it off a friend who lost his license three years ago and it's more or less been stood up since then. When I collecected it I took it straight to a garage and had the oil and filter changed (using 10/60w).

However since I've had it it makes a slight Tapping / Quiet knocking noise when cold. It doesn't go when I heat the car up on idle, but when a drive it a mile or so it go's completely, even from cold. The garage that changed the oil said They're just "cammy" engines and it go's when I'm driving because the oil pressure rises more quickly than idle.

Has anyone else had this with they're car and if so can it be cured? If not got any ideas what it could be? Any help would be really appreciated. Gonna start Modding it if it's okay!
As above the forged internals might be a bit noiser when cold.

Also 10/60 oil might be another contributing factor.

What's a "cammy" engine?

Ns04
Old 12 May 2007, 06:30 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pittys sti
Thanks mate. Thought i might of bought a lemon! Is there any affordable way of curing it?
No, there meant to be like that.
Forged stuff is stronger than the cast hence the sti being more powerfull than the wrx,
Old 12 May 2007, 06:31 PM
Pittys sti
Scooby Regular

I'm not quite sure to be honest. He said the cams can be tappy when cold on flat fours. He also said he's fitted brand new engines which make the same noise as mine. I just hope he knows what he's on about.