k+n typhoon induction kit

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2007, 05:57 PM
kelwick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k+n typhoon induction kit

hello guys

do you think the above kit is worthwile,on the basis of its a cheap mod.the car is a wrx 2006 with no mods except an aftefburner back box.

cheers pete.
Old 08 May 2007, 06:14 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

I have been looking into this as well (any induction kit) so any knowledgeable post would be great

Was thinking of getting rid of the fogs and have a cold air feed and an sti cover for the other side (T25 Style )
Old 08 May 2007, 09:41 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I've got an 07 STi with a Green Panel Filter at the moment... which I believe is best for performance, although you might get a slight increase in noise from an Induction Kit over the Panel Filter, the performance gains arent going to be as good and may hinder performance due to heat transfer from engine bay.

When I come to the point of getting an EcuTek remap, I'll be fitting an APS/AEM/Custom Cold Air Induction Kit, which sits inside the front wing rather than inside the engine bay, the heat transfer issues with the 'normal' induction kit are pretty much removed but it is only recommended when you are getting the car mapped as the difference in air quantity/density is going to be higher, potentially meaning a leaner burn which may cause engine detonation.

Thats my understanding of the whole 'do I, dont I' thing with Induction Kits and their performance (not even taking potential MAF issues into account) anyway.. I dont think I'm tooooo far off the mark with it, but I'm sure other people will be able to go into greater detail for you.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 09 May 2007, 01:37 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS Grant
I've got an 07 STi with a Green Panel Filter at the moment... which I believe is best for performance, although you might get a slight increase in noise from an Induction Kit over the Panel Filter, the performance gains arent going to be as good and may hinder performance due to heat transfer from engine bay.

When I come to the point of getting an EcuTek remap, I'll be fitting an APS/AEM/Custom Cold Air Induction Kit, which sits inside the front wing rather than inside the engine bay, the heat transfer issues with the 'normal' induction kit are pretty much removed but it is only recommended when you are getting the car mapped as the difference in air quantity/density is going to be higher, potentially meaning a leaner burn which may cause engine detonation.

Thats my understanding of the whole 'do I, dont I' thing with Induction Kits and their performance (not even taking potential MAF issues into account) anyway.. I dont think I'm tooooo far off the mark with it, but I'm sure other people will be able to go into greater detail for you.

Cheers,
Grant
The typhoon is a Cold Air Kit, like the APS one and sits in the wing, so no hot air there. As an added benefit a cold air feed could be fitted in the fog cover, as i have done myself.

But you're right about the leaner-issues. I would only fit one if mapping thereafter. I've had one engine go (classic) due to an induction kit, never again!!
Old 09 May 2007, 01:43 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I've got the Apollo kit fitted (Revolution) which is based on the K&N with a cold air feed from the wing. Had it fitted just before being mapped so can quite honestly say that it made zero performance gains. Although inlet temperatures after fitting remained at only a few degrees above ambient, so in that respect it's an improvement.
Love the noise though
Old 09 May 2007, 01:51 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

The question you have to ask yourself is :

"What do I hope to achieve by fitting an induction kit?"

If the answer to this question is improved perfomance then don't bother. Unless you have supporting mods that take advantage of a cold air IK then the only thing you are going to get is more noise.

Personally, I would use the £100 or so the IK is going to cost me and put it towards something that will have actually have an impact on the car. Be it tyres, turbo, remap, brakes, geometry, flywheel, clutch and so on.
Old 09 May 2007, 02:17 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
The typhoon is a Cold Air Kit, like the APS one and sits in the wing, so no hot air there. As an added benefit a cold air feed could be fitted in the fog cover, as i have done myself.
Ahhh, right... I just went on the advert I saw in For Sale section, here.

I guess that guy's got the advert wrong, and if the Typhoon sits inside the wing then it should be fine. I know that the K&N Filters are very good at filtration so shouldn't be any issues there... however, I'd get it re-mapped to suit the new intake & keep engine safety as high as possible.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 09 May 2007, 07:35 PM
leerichosti
Scooby Regular

hi mate its my brothers filter for sale its the short ram version aposed to the long ram which sits in the inner wing. it comes complete with a surround that is fitted to keep the air flow as cool as is possible. only been on the car a couple of months. id by it my self but bought a long ram version at the same time
Old 09 May 2007, 07:42 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I believe CDFracing have a brand new one of these knocking around, (non payer on a group buy)

Might be worth a PM

I have one fitted to my 02 lovely piece of kit
Old 09 May 2007, 08:33 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Leerichosti, sorry mate, never realised you got Short Ram and Long Ram versions of the Typhoon... Guess the advert is correct then!!

Cookstar, are you talking about the 'long-ram' one that sits in the Inner Wing?? Any ideas how much it costs??

Cheers,
Grant
Old 09 May 2007, 08:36 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Leerichosti, sorry mate, never realised you got Short Ram and Long Ram versions of the Typhoon... Guess the advert is correct then!!

Cookstar, are you talking about the 'long-ram' one that sits in the Inner Wing?? Any ideas how much it costs??

Cheers,
Grant

Yeah, iirc the gb price was £150
Old 09 May 2007, 08:51 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Och well.... might be considered rude if I didn't PM them about this then. Thanks for the info mate.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 09 May 2007, 10:20 PM
brens.scoob
Scooby Regular

fitted a prodrive cold air intake kit that sits behind the front bumper as part of a 320 bhp package im having done tomorrow.the car is noticeably down on power compared with std airbox with simota panel filter.just hope its better with remap done and few other bits.