Notices

Is this normal?? (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2007, 07:43 PM
my 93
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal?? After poss big end failure (Pics)

After what sounded like the big end going last week, I've had the engine out today and took off the sump to see what's to be seen .

Apart from the oil looking more like runny copper slip and enough copper on the oil pick up to warrant a trip to the local scrap merchants , not a lot to be seen without splitting the block which I will save for another day.

What I did noticed thou, was the scoring shown here in the pic. Sorry not sure what this part is called . Is it the counter weight fot the con rod???..

Anyway what I was wondering was if this scoring is usual or not and if it indicates what the problem could be???. It's on most of them and its not even scoring if that makes sense.

Few more pics

Pick up pipe

It dosen't show up too well in the pic but as I said the amount of copper specs in there were the most I have seen for a long time.

I'll be finding out in the near future when I finally find the time to carry on (work, kids, work, kids, work, kids, car, work, kids) you get the idea lol. (But I wouldn't have it any other way ).

So answers on a forum post please and winner get's the copper I've salvaged from my oil pan. (sent in the form of a 1p coin)

MY 93

Last edited by my 93; 07 May 2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07 May 2007, 08:05 PM
F.A.Q
Scooby Newbie

The only thing that looks wrong there is the ammount of bearing material. I take it the big ends and or mains are goosed?
Old 07 May 2007, 08:11 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

can you spin the engine and move any of the con rods cos it looks like you may have spun a bearing, same as i did a few weeks ago!
Old 07 May 2007, 08:15 PM
jim litten
Scooby Regular

That's fubar'd!! new bearings and crank needed with that amount of bearing material in the sump and pick up. I'd fit a new oil pump and modine cooler when you rebuild it just to be on the safe side as you don't know how much of the bearing debris has gone through the oil ways.
Old 07 May 2007, 09:00 PM
my 93
Scooby Regular

Scoobysmiff

Engine turns fine through all cycles and all the rods look in one piece.

Jim Litten

I'm going down the 2.5 route but hear what you are saying about the modine and as for the oil pump, going for an uprate RCM jobby

FAQ

I've not had chance to split the block yet to find out how much damage has been done. But i'd say there's a very good chance the whole bottom end will be on a slow boat to china along with the rest of the scrap nowadays.
Old 07 May 2007, 09:14 PM
Gary Track Day RA
Scooby Regular

What you're looking at is the crank itself, it'll all make sense once it's out. The marks are factory machining marks.

But it is fubar'd! How long did you drive it for? I have had the same and had it lifted off the road straight away and got away with a polishing of the journals and new bearings. The bearing was wasted but the crank got off lightly and it was flying when it happened.

My point is, to all you who have yet to have it happen, if your car starts making strange noises......STOP.

If you were unlucky, I feel for you... It's a ball ache. I got a second hand full engine for £600 quid by the way then fixed mine as a spare
Old 07 May 2007, 11:21 PM
my 93
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gary Track Day RA
What you're looking at is the crank itself, it'll all make sense once it's out. The marks are factory machining marks.

But it is fubar'd! How long did you drive it for?

My point is, to all you who have yet to have it happen, if your car starts making strange noises......STOP.
Doh I carried on home (approx 10 miles)
so its completley K nackered

Lesson learnt.