Notices

Rattling noise around 2k revs?

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2007, 04:25 PM
MR77
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling noise around 2k revs?

I've had a 94 sti now for a couple of weeks and i'm noticing a sort of rattle noise whenever the revs go past or drop back down to about 2k revs.
I hear it in 1st, 2nd & 3rd, but can't really tell if it does it in 4th or 5th.
So basically when I am accelerating slowly and the revs reach 2k i get a sort of rattle or clunking noise but above 2k it is fine. And then when I lift of the accelerator and just let the car slow down I get the same noise a little above 2k revs

It sounds like 2 or 3 bits of metal just knocking each other.

Is this normal, if not what could it be?

Cheers
Old 06 May 2007, 04:28 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

Exhaust heat shields resonating at a guess......
Old 06 May 2007, 04:41 PM
swtmerce
Scooby Regular

Don't want to scare you but that's exactly what mine sounded like when the big end bearings went. Rebuild was required. Sounded like a loose heatshield around the rear of the turbo which then turned into a distinct knocking sound like someone hitting the block with a small hammer
Old 06 May 2007, 05:43 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by swtmerce
Don't want to scare you but that's exactly what mine sounded like when the big end bearings went. Rebuild was required. Sounded like a loose heatshield around the rear of the turbo which then turned into a distinct knocking sound like someone hitting the block with a small hammer
I'd go with the above... If you're hearing the rattle/ knoch at around 2000 rpm I'd say bottom end bearings... ££££ hard to say exactly without hearing it...
Old 06 May 2007, 06:29 PM
sponners
Scooby Regular

I've had a similar thing on mine now for about 5 yrs, not so much a rattle or knock, just a strange hhhhmmmmmmm (hard to explain) sorta noise......bang on 2k revs, going up or down the revs and like you say only hear it in lower gears going real steady, although it is very quiet and hard to hear.
Old 06 May 2007, 06:41 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

It may be nothing, but I'd strongly advise asking someone to listen to it who knows what a Scooby should sound like. I would say you shouldn't be charged for an opinion on a noise from any professional, so don't be shy.
Old 06 May 2007, 06:53 PM
MR77
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the replies.

I'll have a look underneath tomorrow to see if there is anything loose, but failing that can anyone recommend somewhere in the south that could have listen to it? I'm near Croydon, Surrey.

If it was the bottom end bearings are there any other signs I can look out for?

Cheers
Old 07 May 2007, 02:35 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

Drain your oil... it will have a silver tinge to it... lots of bits of metal init...
Old 07 May 2007, 05:16 PM
jturbo
Scooby Regular

hi i know im new to this but ive had many of these cars, ive got 1 here at the mo with the same sound your got, i dont think its got any thing to do with your engine its the gear box!!! mines been doing this for a few months and havnt got any worse yet! what i have done is over fill the gear box by half an inch and its quieter than it was! if you stick your head up near the bell houseing and get the revs right you will here where its coming from is easy to get to if you have a front mount intercooler as ive got loads of spase on top of the gear box to lisen to,
Old 07 May 2007, 05:47 PM
steve0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jturbo
hi i know im new to this but ive had many of these cars, ive got 1 here at the mo with the same sound your got, i dont think its got any thing to do with your engine its the gear box!!! mines been doing this for a few months and havnt got any worse yet! what i have done is over fill the gear box by half an inch and its quieter than it was! if you stick your head up near the bell houseing and get the revs right you will here where its coming from is easy to get to if you have a front mount intercooler as ive got loads of spase on top of the gear box to lisen to,
I have exactly the same noise in 2nd gear only. I thought it had to be gearbox related as it only does it in selected gear/s.

Im happy to hear some saying it is the box tho, as I was a lal bit worried!
Old 09 May 2007, 06:11 PM
MR77
Scooby Newbie

Cheers all

Been reading lots of other posts on here and apparently the turbo is supposed to kick in at 2k revs, could it be something on/in the turbo?

Cheers
Old 09 May 2007, 07:23 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

I'd say the turbo heatshield, Check all the bolts are done up tight and that nothing is touching it
Old 09 May 2007, 07:57 PM
H4RDY-P1
Scooby Regular

Mine was exactly same and yes it was engine rebuild time it had done lots of damage due to still driving it !!
Old 12 May 2007, 10:56 AM
MR77
Scooby Newbie

Had a good poke around this morning and the only thing I could find that made any noise was the output CV joints. Unfortunately there is no one around to give it a rev to see if it definitely was them, however I'm not sure if they would make any noise if I am sitting in neutral, as I still get the noise then?

So then, can anyone recommend me somewhere in Surrey that could have a look and diagnose?
Old 14 May 2007, 11:16 PM
MR77
Scooby Newbie

Turned out to be a loose heat shield in the end
Bloke at the local garage sorted it out, I was looking in completely the wrong place!
I've been driving it round like a granny for the last few days so it's time to have some fun again now!
Old 15 May 2007, 08:03 AM
rigga
Scooby Regular

nice one........