Notices

Breather VTA-Block off PCV or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2007, 12:06 AM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breather VTA-Block off PCV or not ?

Im going to vent all 3 of my breathers using 3 seperate pipes-2 for each of the cam breathers and 1 for the crankcase breather.
My original plan was to block off the PCV valve but I cant make my mind up whether this is a good or bad thing !!
Anyone got any ideas ?
Old 19 April 2007, 01:00 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Blocked my PCV, and ran two hoses, 0ne 19mm (iirc) from block and one 17mm (iirc) from branched rocker covers down under finishing just above/behind rear axle, ie VTA..

Been like it 18 months no problems..
Old 20 April 2007, 10:31 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 'green' system that fully recirculates back into the inlet as intended, my catch tank simply intercepts the crankcase breather-to-inlet pipe line.

I tried it with the PCV blocked and found the tank and the pipes were getting absolutely filthy and filled really quick. Reconnected the PCV line and it performance was identical, but much cleaner because it was collecting the oil only when on boost, when it actually matters. IMHO disconnecting the PCV is pointless as it just means that when you're off boost your crankcase has no decent vacuum. It basically then saves all that filth up for when you do put your foot down, meaning your catch tank has to do loads more work.
Old 20 April 2007, 10:51 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
I've got a 'green' system that fully recirculates back into the inlet as intended, my catch tank simply intercepts the crankcase breather-to-inlet pipe line.

I tried it with the PCV blocked and found the tank and the pipes were getting absolutely filthy and filled really quick. Reconnected the PCV line and it performance was identical, but much cleaner because it was collecting the oil only when on boost, when it actually matters. IMHO disconnecting the PCV is pointless as it just means that when you're off boost your crankcase has no decent vacuum. It basically then saves all that filth up for when you do put your foot down, meaning your catch tank has to do loads more work.
What boost are you running mate ?
Old 21 April 2007, 06:54 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.4 bar. On my green system my catch tank is regularly collecting oil sludge, return pipe to the inlet is clean as a whistle, not a spot of oil anywhere in the inlet tract at all.