Notices

When to remap after fitting decat system and also what system do you recommend??

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2007, 09:24 PM
daygo30
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to remap after fitting decat system and also what system do you recommend??

Hi guys,
Got a 2002 WRX, looking into getting a turbo back exhaust (decated) and have read that a remap is needed - my question is how soon after fitting the exhaust would i require a remap without causing any damage to the car?

Also been told by a fellow owner on here that the xs-power system is v good for the money XS-Power Ltd (01341) 241573 - anyone else got any suggestions for the 300-400 mark?

I have a H&S backbox which was on the car when i brought it, so either looking into replacing the rest of the pipework or to get a package with a new backbox and sell the H&S, i just don't want nothing over bearing noise wise!! was looking into getting a sports cat etc which i would prefer but the cost for the rest of the system is approx £495

This might be a silly question but if i get a decated system and get pulled for a emissions test on the side of the road and it fails what is the penalty?

Any advice appreciated
Old 15 April 2007, 10:35 PM
stiggy
Scooby Regular

i would also like to know good point raised my friened
Old 15 April 2007, 10:48 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

"Pass" re the last bit - other than the obligation to have the car legal within a (small) period of time.

Simon "Jolly Green Giant" (on here) for less expensive mapping. Otherwise, Andy F, Bob Rawle or Zen performance for Ecutek3 licenced mapping (which I've used and works very well ).
Old 15 April 2007, 10:55 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

I would leave changing the exhaust until as close to the mapping day as possible - at least that was the advice given to me by Bob Rawle prior to my mapping session.
As long as you stay below 0.5 bar of boost in between you should be ok, though it helps if you have a boost gauge!
Some on here have decatted without remapping and never experienced a problem. I've been told that newage cars are more sensitive to this change than classics

Last edited by pippyrips; 15 April 2007 at 10:59 PM.
Old 16 April 2007, 10:17 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A cheap and effective option would be a Prodrive sports cat downpipe (£150 ish if in good cond), 3rd cat delete pipe (£75) and straight through de-res centre section £100) keep your own back box. This means you still have two cats, one in the down pipe and one in the turbo up pipe. To be honest if you are going to do this you are as well removing the uppipe and put a decat uppipe in and just run with the sports cat which will be enough to pass emissions test removing the up-pipe will make a significant difference.
If you fit the Prodrive sports cat downpipe you have to remove a bit of the exhaust gas seperator on the flange to fit the standard TD04 turbo. The alternative is either a full decat downpipe or a more expensive sports cat.
Old 16 April 2007, 10:57 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bugeye ECU can easily run a de-cat without re mapping

What mapping can do is release more horses as the MY02 ECU is mapped prettty conservatively.

Shaun