Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost and dump valve issues

Hi,

The car:

1994 wrx Wagon

3" decat exhaust

TD04 turbo

Dawes device

first of all I defenatly have a problem with my dump valve....It did work fine and I quite liked it due to it being a sleeper around town but really woshed if some beans were given, but since i Put a T-piece on the vacuum pipe and fitted the boost sender unit it is now pretty much of a sleeper (only very slight wosh) with boost reaching the 1bar figures.

I'm guessing that this is due to the boost sender making it loose vacum in order to release the valve efficiently??, so I was wondering if is there something else going on or maybe another vacuum pipe where i can take the boost pressure reading from.

The second dilemma is my actual boost..... I guess I'm having a fuel cut off at about 1bar (I have now readjusted the dawes so that i don't reach that point)... I have read here in regards to this and didn't quite know what to make of it, specially after this quote:

Originally Posted by Tone Loc
For the ecu to control boost above 1.15bar then yes you do need the later map sensor AND have the ecu remapped to suit the new sensor. You can't just fit the later sensor and expect the ecu to know..... it simply won't work. It will think it's controlling at 0.9 bar but will be running inexcess of this.

IF your using an MBC i'd connect it accross the actuator and nipple only and wouldn't have bothered with the later MAP sensor.

Tony.
....does this mean that if I put a td05 in there I will not get any extra performance on the straight swap and nothing else?

TIA

Last edited by agent003; 01 April 2007 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01 April 2007, 10:44 PM
SNAP-ON
Scooby Regular

i take it you have not t pieced into the dump valve vacumn pipe ? the dump valve vacumns of the first nipple on the inlet manifold and when fitting a boost gauge you t peice into the center vacumn pipe on the inlet manifold not the dump valve one . i believe the center vacumn pipe runs to the boost solenoid area , this is the one you t peice a boost gauge into .fuel cut will happen at about 17/18 psi i beleive , if your running a dawes like i used to then dont run it over about 14psi as your fueling and timing wont be catered for by the ecu ! also if your running a decat downpipe you really need a remap ! scott t does them on here for about £200 well worth the money !
Old 01 April 2007, 11:09 PM
agent003
Scooby Regular

Thanks alot for that.... I didnt make anything out of thhe other 2 vacuum pipes since they looked alot thiner than the one that goes on to the dump valve and also the T piece that came with the kit for the boost gauge was the same size as to fit on the pipe from the dump valve

As for the boost cut...you say that I would need a remap but I thought my current ecu wasnt mapable .... Also from other posts I have researched on here I believe a fuel pump upgrade before anything further has to be a must (specially for the money they are).

WBR
Old 01 April 2007, 11:17 PM
SNAP-ON
Scooby Regular

i had same problem t peiceing my gauge in as like you say the middle pipe is really thin but just heat it up a little and stretch it over the t peice ! as for the remap yes its possible as the early classics (93-96)have a spare slot in the ecu for a chip , esl and scott t do them i have just fitted one from scott and well worth it , earlier turbo spool and 16 psi ! i have a 94 uk (bigger td05) turbo wagon with hks induction kit , decat and chipped ecu , i was running a dawes before but there not really recommended ! my next mod is a fuel pump and decat downpipe as the chip has been mapped for the downpipe .
Old 01 April 2007, 11:38 PM
agent003
Scooby Regular

Man you are a star

I think thats all the info I need plus more

Will print this thread up now!

Many thanks... appreciate that