Notices

Wrapped headers and oil temp..?

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2007, 01:26 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Wrapped headers and oil temp..?

After reading Shaun's latest installment on his Spec C project , it's got me thinking about the effects of removing the OEM heat shields and wrapping headers with exhaust wrap on engine oil temp's..?

Obviously a lot of people go down this route, either ported oem or tubular headers, but has anyone else ever noticed their oil temps were higher after (how many would think of monitoring)..?

Now this may well be specific to JDM twin scroll headers in that they actually pass 'through' the sump..?

This is something I'd never heard of before, however it does make perfect sense if the heat from the headers (~900c ) is radiating into the sump..!

Thoughts...
Old 26 March 2007, 02:00 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The heat from headers wrapped with DEI exhaust wrap is less than that from the O/E headers with heat shields.
On Classics with oil temperature digital guages I have not noticed any temp. difference attributable to the headers but I have wondered if moving the oil filter into the air flow or relocating it would be worthwhile.
Old 26 March 2007, 08:02 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, the headers on none twin scroll scoobs sit infront of the sump so probably not an issue..? As opposed to going through a recess in the middle and therefore more prone to heat build up/less air flow.

Just a thought, but it seems Shaun definitely had issues on his spec C, I wonder how good the wrap was..?