Notices

P1 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2007, 11:13 PM
_ScOOby_
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1 Questions

After sometime away from Subarus, I believe I am regressing and trying to relive my youth and my old MY2000 car.

I have decided to buy a P1. Obviously now, I'm looking at 6/7 year old cars with 45k miles on. I am looking for one more as a 'show'/weekend car to geta good stereo in and enjoy the driving.

I have found two that I like the look of:

A 12000 mile car, hardly driven, however has been curbed and had panel, door, suspension replacement by the Subaru dealership. Generally is clean and doesn't seem to have been driven that hard. This car is quite expensive due to the low milage. Is this type of damage a major problem? The car has an excellent interior and good stereo/screens etc.

Alternatively I have found one, with no history of crashes etc with 45k miles- but has had some mechanical history. At 33000 miles a new engine was fitted due to big end failure- done by the dealership under warranty. Is this something to worry about? I also has had a new gearbox and clutch fitted by Extreme Scoobies- about 2 months ago. This worries me- should it? How good is the work they do? Why would it need a new gearbox after 44k?? This car is around 4k less in price. The car is comcmetically very good other than two things- the front bumper seems loose and seems to hang a couple of mm from where is should be. Also the plastic strip down the side of the window is loose.

Is it worth trying to get a subaru warranty?

What are anyones opinions of the options? Is one a goer or should I keep looking.

Help!
Old 22 March 2007, 06:31 AM
MonkiP1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey buddie, If i was you go to P1 Web Owners Club :: Warning, may contain nuts!

There are loads of dedicated P1 owners (Incl myself) that can give you the best advice on what to buy, what to look out for.

For the first car you are looking at, ask your self why spend all the money on a car thats had damage?

And for the second car it looks promasing, usally the big end failure can happen at any milage on a P1, And its usally due to a duff MAF sensor or the car been driving like a T**t. But as with any car give it tlc and look after it, then you reduce the risk of the motor going bang. If its had a new engine and gear box as you said by extream scoobys, it should be all fine and dandy.

But my best advice is to go to P1woc and see the owners cars that are forsale there as most in all cases have been very well looked after.

Monki.

Last edited by MonkiP1; 22 March 2007 at 06:36 AM. Reason: *