Notices

sti help

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2007, 10:06 PM
zetecturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sti help

ive some questions reguarding my mates sti.what im trying to find out is it an sti.it has the usual sti seats badges on frnt wings ,but has the wrx rear lites also the model code on the vin plate does say its an sti GC8C4ED,do 96 stis have coil packs fitted at the plugs or shud it have the single coil on top of the engine.and what turbo shud b fittet to it.its got a tdo4 fitted.
car cut out on my mate today from redlining .its got oil over the engine and the intercooler pipe from turbo to intercooler is full of oil but from the front mount intercooler to inlet has no oil init.and car refuses to start.its fitted with an apexi ecu aswell.wud the seals b gone in the turbo or rings in the car,im thinking of doing a compression test ,can this b done with the turbo off the car.tanx jay
Old 18 March 2007, 10:31 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

According to that model code it is an STi 2

But im pretty sure it should have a TD05, but someone will confirm that no doubt.

Oil in Intercooler pipes could be from the breather pipes which is normal but it sounds like you have worse problems. More info would help, does it turn over, what did he do to make it cut out, what sort of cut out- did it just die,make any noises?

Check this FAQ out for some basic info

Subaru Impreza FAQ

Gaz
Old 18 March 2007, 10:49 PM
zetecturbo
Scooby Regular

seen that before thanx mate.he said he was in fifth gear giving it a bit of stick then it felt like there was no power when he wnt to rev it,like turbo wasnt boosting then car stalled and when the car stopped he tried to start it and wudnt.when i got it home it was just turning over and refused to start and ther is a serious amount of oil in the intercoler piping to much to b from the breathers.ive taken off the turbo and ther is no play in the shaft atall but when i took off the exhaust housing of the turbo when u spin the shaft it feels a bit sticky and ther is evidence of slight marking on the blades of the compressor wheel and on the turbo housing could the shaft b slightly bent and tore the oil seal
Old 18 March 2007, 11:12 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

hi sounds like hes just melted a piston...........