Notices

Is removable tuning available for Subaru's? Also need to know tecnhical differences..

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2007, 08:14 PM
allymac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is removable tuning available for Subaru's? Also need to know tecnhical differences..

Hi,

I used to have a MY99 Impreza Turbo with a few bits and bobs added on to enhance power mostly, but since then I have had a few cars. However promotion has meant a car allowance, fuel card and a desire for another Subaru.

At the moment I have a 2004 1.8T 20V Seat which has a turbo back Milltek exhaust re-inforced turbo intake pipe, uprated air filter and DV, but more importantly a Star Performance remap which brought the car from 180bhp (195bhp with exhaust) to mid 240's bhp.

The good thing about the car is that Seat don't mind the Turbo Back exhaust being on the car, and the remap can be removed with no trace when going back into the stealer for servicing or warranty work.

These things are therefore important to me. I have had a lot warranty work on the car (no fault of the extra power) and think that Subaru stealers are going to be a lot more wise to this type of activity than Seat. Only today I went to Town and County in Aberdeen, spoke to the salesman and he said Subaru look down on anything more than a back box which is a shame. I had a turbo back on my MY99 and know the difference this can make.

Anyway, has anyone had experience with this garage, is there a tuning box or device like the GIAC from Star Performance where the code can be removed from the car with no trace so it can go in to the garage as standard?

Also, I have around a £12-£13k budget for a new car. I have seen that it is possible to get a brand new Impreza WRX from New Car Dealer, Buy New Cars at Used Car Prices AllBrandsNew for £13,999. After having spoken to the lad, he said they are UK spec but imported from Malta or Cyprus. Upon asking him if the cars qualify for the UK warranty he said yes - If I bought one, I would have to send him some form after registering it (CNC?) which would be added to the cars info qualifying it for the 3 year Subaru warranty. The only thing that would be missing would be the Cat 1 immobiliser which can be added for £399 I think. He also said that I would be the first owner of the car which means the V5 would not show that the car was imported so that when I come to sell it, there would be no trace of it being an import?

I realise the guy is a salesman and is probably blowing smoke up my ***, but I am hoping some of you experts can advise if he is right or talking doo doo. Also I would be interested to know about any other possible differences and how I would stand if all things went Pete Tong with the car within the warranty period. Also, what warranty would I get with the car if it did not get a UK warranty?

Also, while I am here (and I realise this is the old how long is a piece of string and likely to start WW3 as it does on the SEAT and VW forums) but which is the best exhaust and can you get away with a full system on the car? Scoobysport was my choice on the MY99 Turbo but that was a while ago.

Thanks in advance!

Ally
Old 17 March 2007, 09:59 PM
allymac
Scooby Regular

Bump! Anyone?
Old 17 March 2007, 10:12 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It won't be like the Seat. Their REVO is stuff is good, the way it can be hidden/removed.
You are best asking for a PPP, Prodrive Performance Package. It will be a couple of grand more, but its a Subaru approed modification.
Old 17 March 2007, 10:19 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Or going for a JDM Impreza, they need less tuning to start with. You may be able to convince your employer to let you buy one from someone like Litchfield Imports. They will supply a new car with warranty (though, not a standard dealer warranty)
Old 17 March 2007, 10:24 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Bugger, just saw your budget, no new JDM for you at that price.

Imports are entitled to a warranty, but the warranty items have to be approved from the country of origin (ie Malta). This is fine for most things, but the Prodrive Performance Packs are not available in Malta (or something like that), and therefore you cannot fit them and keep your warranty on an import.

If its a non import, you can have PPP and keep warranty.
Old 17 March 2007, 11:28 PM
allymac
Scooby Regular

Thanks lads. I should have mentioned that I get a car allowance and I budgeted my own money to £12-£13k.

I remember the PPP was approx £2k, and I realise it is Subaru approved, but the gains per £ are pretty small to be honest.

How is the remapping/chipping done on Subaru's? On the VAG cars it is done via the serial port on the car.

To be honest, I have considered a nearly new 2.0T FSi new style Seat Leon and can with a little tinkering (filter exhaust intercooler and star remap) take it to 290bhp which can be switched back to standard with the GIAC box. However I loved the Subaru note and the 4x4 grip.

Will take a loko at Litchfield Imports....

Thanks,

Ally

Last edited by allymac; 17 March 2007 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Changed the Litchfield bit