Notices

Knocking noise coming from piston/crank

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2007, 02:10 PM
Amir R
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Knocking noise coming from piston/crank

Hi, I need some advice on why my scooby is knocking. I have been told its a common fault on scooby's. I have a 96/97 uk spec turbo 2000, I have been advised it could be my crank, or fourth piston slack or my oil pump not holding enough pressure. Scoobyclinic has quoted me £2500+vat to sort this and frankly i have not got this kindf of cash to spare at the mo. Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 17 March 2007, 02:23 PM
Monkian
Scooby Regular

The only other options you have are to rebuild it yourself around £1000-£1500
or buy a replacement short engine for around 500-1000
Old 17 March 2007, 03:51 PM
Amir R
Scooby Newbie

sorry what is a short engine?
Old 17 March 2007, 04:14 PM
ian10
Scooby Regular

if it knocks from cold and then quietens off after 5 mins or so, it will be piston slap which is coman on your year of car, don't worry about it .If it is knocking all the time ie when hot sounds like something more serious.
Old 17 March 2007, 07:40 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ian10
if it knocks from cold and then quietens off after 5 mins or so, it will be piston slap which is coman on your year of car, don't worry about it .If it is knocking all the time ie when hot sounds like something more serious.
Piston slap can & will still knock when hot if the vehicle has a bad case of piston slap, Just because it does it when it's hot, Does not mean it is any more serious than piston slap.

The diagnosis from scoobyclinic was quite broad, to say the least.

A short engine is the Block, Pistons, Conrods & crank Etc, The part that your Cylinder Heads & everything else bolts to.

Dean
Old 17 March 2007, 08:40 PM
ian10
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DeanF
Piston slap can & will still knock when hot if the vehicle has a bad case of piston slap, Just because it does it when it's hot, Does not mean it is any more serious than piston slap.

The diagnosis from scoobyclinic was quite broad, to say the least.

A short engine is the Block, Pistons, Conrods & crank Etc, The part that your Cylinder Heads & everything else bolts to.

Dean
As a general rule the knocking dose stop, or noticably quietens off when the engine is hot , as the piston rings expand due to the heat greated .If the knocking still is presant and is the same "volume" as when the car is cold i would suggest some else is wrong as i quoted above. There are proberly hundreds of 96/97/98 impreazs driving around with this problem and causers the car no problems except a bit of embarassment to the driver .
I believe a modified piston can by bought from subaru to cure this problem as it was a factory fault on the stated years of the car.
Old 17 March 2007, 08:46 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ian10
As a general rule the knocking dose stop, or noticably quietens off when the engine is hot , as the piston rings expand due to the heat greated .If the knocking still is presant and is the same "volume" as when the car is cold i would suggest some else is wrong as i quoted above. There are proberly hundreds of 96/97/98 impreazs driving around with this problem and causers the car no problems except a bit of embarassment to the driver .
I believe a modified piston can by bought from subaru to cure this problem as it was a factory fault on the stated years of the car.

All of the above is true, all im saying is that piston slap can still be apparent when hot & should not just be ruled out because of that.

Dean

Last edited by DeanF; 17 March 2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 17 March 2007, 09:43 PM
scooby276blue
Scooby Regular

try and get hold of scoobysmiff, as we've just taken his short engine out, and its sound like the same thing, the bearing has gone on the 4th piston crank end, you should be able to get new bearings for around £50,