Notices

Engine help. Pics provided

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2007, 01:11 AM
Craigieloon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine help. Pics provided

Im having a few issues with rogue pipes and im in need of a location for them. Im hoping people can help me out. Car in question is a 1994 WRX import

First thing. The coil packs and coil wiring. Which way do they go. Its possible to get them mixed up. how can i tell 100% that its right.

here's the pics in question

Its a breather of some sort but attaches to where?? I think its the second hole in the inlet before the turbo. Not 100% though.

A bit of help locating the places for my boost solenoid.

what the hell is this. Whats its function... looks like a sealed expansion tank. again not sure. where does it go.

where does this little one pin plug go to. I thought it could be the powersteering pump or similier.
Old 17 March 2007, 01:19 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Why was it all off and if it was yourself that took it all apart, why not label everything so you couldn't go wrong?
Old 17 March 2007, 01:24 AM
Craigieloon
Scooby Regular

no mate. i got the engine in bits. I rebuilt it but this is my first impreza so im not familiar. It was apart due to head gaskets going.
Old 17 March 2007, 01:33 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Well that sealed expension tank is called a carbon canister. It vents the fuel tank. Doesn't look like you have the bracket to fit it to the chassis leg though? The 2 pipes above the drivers side cam cover are where that plumbs into, but instead, you can join those 2 pipes up with a t-piece and throw the canister away.

The one pin plug should be for the power steering, yes.

The breather under the inlet manifold IIRC should go into the inlet pipe to the turbo. There should be a hole in it, for this to be pushed into.

As for the boost solenoid, i don't have enough pics in front of me to see what you have going on there, but i'm a bit puzzled by the green t-piece thing sitting at the turbo?
Old 17 March 2007, 01:35 AM
bowsaaa
Scooby Regular

What looks like a sealed expansion tank is actually a carbon canister, not essential (i removed mine) but it filters fuel tank gasses. Should be an in port from tank, out port to a valve/solenoid near the inlet manifold & a drain at base of tank, but your early model might not have this drain, not sure. If you do a search for manuals on this forum you should find everything you need.
Old 17 March 2007, 01:36 AM
Craigieloon
Scooby Regular

that looks like the previous owners attempt at a T-piece. I have spares but its rthe least of my issues just now.

I found a thread on connecting up the boost solenoid so i should be ok there...

what about the coil packs and coil plugs. I see that its possible to get them the wrong way round.... what way is the right way?
Old 17 March 2007, 09:07 AM
Craigieloon
Scooby Regular

any help....

also which way does the fuel pipes go in.. again there were.y marked... which is feed on the engine and which is return. I know the top pipe on the filter side is feed...