Notices

coolant loss-radiator cap u/s ?????

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2007, 12:46 PM
gr1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant loss-radiator cap u/s ?????

been loosing coolant for a couple of weeks.only seems like the amount the reservoir holds even after a very short journey with no signs of overheating on longer journeys.
i had the reservoir and hoses off today looking for obvious signs or damage but everything looks ok.on restarting the car i noticed some water was running into the overflow bottle.
does this mean my radiator cap is not standing up to the pressure in the system or do you think its more serious than that.

p.s. done an oil change and no sign of water mixing with oil(fingers crossed)

car is JDM 95 STI

cheers for any thoughts
Old 07 March 2007, 02:55 PM
Heple
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gr1
been loosing coolant for a couple of weeks.only seems like the amount the reservoir holds even after a very short journey with no signs of overheating on longer journeys.
i had the reservoir and hoses off today looking for obvious signs or damage but everything looks ok.on restarting the car i noticed some water was running into the overflow bottle.
does this mean my radiator cap is not standing up to the pressure in the system or do you think its more serious than that.

p.s. done an oil change and no sign of water mixing with oil(fingers crossed)

car is JDM 95 STI

cheers for any thoughts
Check for signs of water spray coming from the top of the radiator end tank on the drivers side.

This is a very common problem but hard to see as it is usually only a very slight hairline crack

If there is signs of water spray (usually around the headlight) you will need a new radiator, there about £90 off ebay.

Craig
Old 09 March 2007, 10:15 AM
gr1
Scooby Regular

thanks for reply
no signs of water spray anywhere.only problem seems to be the water going to the overflow bottle.will get a new rad cap soon as .

my other concern is does this mean i've got a blockage some where in the system?

cheers
Old 09 March 2007, 10:25 AM
Jam Performance
Former Sponsor

Default airlock

uve got a airlock mate, i had the exactly the same problem, i replaced the rad cap with a 1.1bar uprated item, then bled all the air out the system,even after all that coolant still used drip out of the expansion bottle, but after about 2 months and 5000 miles it seems to have cured itself
Old 09 March 2007, 09:37 PM
gr1
Scooby Regular

"uve got a airlock mate, i had the exactly the same problem, i replaced the rad cap with a 1.1bar uprated item, then bled all the air out the system"

how do you go about bleeding the air out of the cooling system?
Old 09 March 2007, 09:43 PM
Yamarashi
Scooby Regular

to get rid of air you can try running the car till its up to temp with the rad cap off and the heater set to hot inside the car, then rev the engine slightly and keep topping up the coolant. This may push any air out but Subaru's are known to be bad bleeders .

Back to your coolant loss ..... have you checked your not getting wet carpets in the front footwells ... if they are, your heater matrix may be leaking.
Old 10 March 2007, 09:03 AM
Heple
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Yamarashi
to get rid of air you can try running the car till its up to temp with the rad cap off and the heater set to hot inside the car, then rev the engine slightly and keep topping up the coolant. This may push any air out but Subaru's are known to be bad bleeders .
Just to add,

When you are doing this squeeze the top and bottom radiator hoses this will release the air (just keep squeezing and releasing, squeezing and releasing etc....)

You'll see the bubbles come up to the expansion tank, just keep topping it up slowly.

Craig