Notices

what type of gear oil for 04 sti

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2007, 09:12 PM
brens.scoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what type of gear oil for 04 sti

hi guys,just checked gearbox oil today and is below minimum level.
what oil should i use to top up or should i change the lot,also how much does it hold.

where is the drain plug.

thanks guys.
Old 08 March 2007, 12:40 PM
KenS55STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

firstly, make sure you check the oil with the car on a flat surface as even a slight gradient will cause the reading to be off. Make sure the car has stood for a while too so all the oil has settled.

The sti 6 speed box has 2 drain plugs underneath, need to remove the plastic undertray if I remember correctly. Capacity I believe is stated as 4.1 litres, but check your manual.

As for oil to put in, you should top up with whatever it has in now. Oil should be changed every 30k so if you've done less miles and know it hasn't been changed try the dealers for advice on what should be in there.

If you decide to change the lot then Castrol Syntrax will give you a smooth gearchange, particularly from cold. I have tried a few oils in my car, 01 STI, and this has been the best, particularly from cold. I would not recommend the Silkolene Syn 5 stuff as I found the gearchange to be really difficult in comparison with the stuff from the factory, shell semi-synthetic 75w90, Castrol syntrax and Motul Gear 300.

The Motul is alright but can be a bit notchy from cold. The general consensus from these type of threads if you do a search is probably best to stick with a semi-synthetic for a smoother gearchange.
Old 08 March 2007, 06:22 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aggree with the above and yes, you do have to remove the smaller of the undertrays as it covers a small sump at the bottom of the gearbox.
Syntrax (Driveline) is a safe bet as some full synthetic fluids can compromise the effectivness of the synchro.
If you've covered anything over 20k then a change of fluid would be a good idea.
JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 08 March 2007 at 06:24 PM.