Impreza landing on its side

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2007, 07:09 PM
takatak
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help - Impreza landing on its side

Hello everyone.
I was having fun with my GT MY00 on the snow and being unlucky (and a stupid idiot too) I slipped sideways down the slope, turned on the side, over the roof and stayed on the right side. It was not much of a drama, more a lazy turnover. Only body panels, a lamp and the mirrors are damaged but there is a BUT.

When standing on the right side (for about 30 mins, engine hot, it's left hand drive if it makes any difference) there was an oil leak through the air duct and the air filter box.
What are possible damages and risks to arise from that?
It seems like around 0.3 litre has leaked. It was spilled under the airbox and abs. Do you thing it came all the way through the intercooler and via the turbo? Or is there another way? Could it eventually damage the turbo, clog some vacuum hoses etc? For example there is a hose connecting to the duct running to a big cannister (gas recirculation?) from which another hose goes to the T shaped piece near the wastegate solenoid. The MAF sensor seems untouched. My biggest fear is of course damaged turbo.
I'm sorry for not knowing proper part names

Once back on all four wheels I waited for another 20 minutes and started the engine. There was some smoke from the exhaust but it went away very quickly. All seemed allright but of course I tried and did not go over 2500rpm.

I wish you all better luck and thank you for your opinions.
tak

Last edited by takatak; 26 February 2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 27 February 2007, 11:24 AM
ivosh
Scooby Regular

Someone must know how the Imprezas look from inside! It's no fun for me , please help.
Thanks a lot.
Old 27 February 2007, 12:29 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if laying on it's side I suspect the oil drained through the crank and cam breathers and out the air filter..

this alone shouldn't cause a problem due to only a small amount leaked by the sounds of it.. however if oil contaminated the maf sensor or just fouled the plugs etc.. it would cause a running issue.

I would remove the MAF sensor and inspect.. and as they are fairly fragile on the MY00 just replace if it looks contaminated at all.. and remove and clean or replace the plugs although they should clean off are a short while of driving. Also worth removing and checking all the breathers and vacuum lines which may now contain oil.

Simon
Old 27 February 2007, 12:47 PM
ivosh
Scooby Regular

Thank you, Simon.
Do you think that the angles and positions inside are such, that no oil could have flown to the turbo (compression part of it)?

I think MAF should be ok as it faced downwards and the oil dripped prom the opposite direction. However there was one drop on its casing.

tak
Old 27 February 2007, 12:58 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

I would expect the turbo to be uneffected as the seals would be rotated on the shaft axis by 90degrees.. if it were nose down or nose up then I could see oil leaking through the seals.. although unlikely if the turbo was not rotating and wouldn't cause damage just oil to leak..

I presume the problem is it won't boost from what you wrote above?

I would be looking at the vac lines...

oil could also have run from breathers to inlet and then when back on it's wheels into the turbo compressor housing.. but again once it has been run and cleared out it should cause no issue..

Simon
Old 27 February 2007, 01:42 PM
ivosh
Scooby Regular

Please excuse my username mismatch

I'm starting to feel a bit stupid, so pardon me. You said:

"I would expect the turbo to be uneffected as the seals would be rotated on the shaft axis by 90degrees.. if it were nose down or nose up then I could see oil leaking through the seals.. although unlikely if the turbo was not rotating and wouldn't cause damage just oil to leak.."

Does this mean that oil did not go through the IC and the turbo at all?

I presume the problem is it won't boost from what you wrote above?

I still haven't dared to try and boost. Thats why I'm asking these question. To make sure I won't make things even worse.

but again once it has been run and cleared out it should cause no issue..

Do you mean cleared out by running it or by disassembling and manual cleaning?

Thank you for your patience
Old 27 February 2007, 03:28 PM
ivosh
Scooby Regular

Oh, maybe I got it. You mean the oil went through crankcase ventilation hose not throught the throttle valve (I'm layman, you know). So I just need to check where the hose connects to the air duct and see if oil possibly could have been drained not only to the box filter but to the turbo as well which would be bad. Do I get it right?
Thank you.
Old 27 February 2007, 06:35 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Yes you got it..

I don't think oil passing through the turbo would cause any damage.. the oil would be hot so not going to cause damage like cold water might.. my only concern would be maf sensor but you have checked that..

try it on light throttle first to slightly higher rpm and build up..

I would imagine there should be nothing wrong other than perhaps oil in the vac pipes at an outside but the oil would get blown into the air intake and through the engine and burnt without issue anyway.

Simon
Old 27 February 2007, 07:44 PM
ivosh
Scooby Regular

Simon, thank you very much!