Advice for a new bloke

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2007, 01:05 AM
mwilliams
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for a new bloke

Hi all,

First off wanna say been gr8 reading the tips n advice from you folks, along with enjoying some hilarious bickering!

Picked up my first scoob a couple of days ago - 2001 WRX Wagon, UK spec, 43thousand on the clock, suburu history, gr8 condition. (Paid 6k - Sound ok?!) Yeah yeah I know, its the bugeye, but love em or loathe em its my first experience of the Impreza thang and i'm lovin it! I'm a family man but still a lad at heart so it kinda ticks all the boxes!
Had a 328i convertible beemer b4 (let the abuse commence) and spent a lot of time driving the other halfs M3 convertible (topped by me bird! The shame!) both of which were gr8 and get rated as real drivers cars. But gotta say - my new baby is in a different league. Permanent coathanger in gob grin going on whenever i'm behind the wheel.

Anyhow, lookin at sensible mods. Been studying up here and on the SIDC forum and starting to make a few conclusions. Opinions from you guys that know a sh*tload more about it all than me would be much appreciated though.

First up, the real no-brainer seems to be to get ecu sorted. No bolt on goodies available for mine apparently so its remap the existing. Ecutek seem to get well rated. Got an ecutek place in Bexleyheath (Kent) near me. Sanspeed. They want 650plus VAT. Is that about right? (Seemed a little trumpy to me. 650 fine but with vat its 763quid). I hear they have a decent reputation though. But if you guys know a decent place for less dollar i'm all ears.

Before I cross that bridge though i gotta do any other mods before the remap right?

The car seems to be standard except a different exhaust out the back. I think the original would have been twin small round tailpipes, mine has one big round one. Gives a nice burble but there's no manufacturers name on it so not got a clue what it is. Presuming its only the backbox thats been changed.

So i'm thinkin:
Intake - Intake kit poss not the way to go cos a; noisy b;confuse the hell out of MAF/ECU (b4 remap anyway) c;suck in warm air anyway so potentially lose performance. Seems to me from reading your combined wisdom that the standard airbox does a fairly decent job of gettin cold air in so go for a replacement panel filter, like the Green cotton (ie not oiled) for best value performance?

BOV/Dump valve - Don't bother. All it'll do is frighten old ladies with the tsssch noise, and also confuse the MAF/ECU causing overfuelling and possibly thinning the oil.

De-cat - Bear in mind I dont wanna be so loud that shop windows break when I drive past and also that I don't wanna change the downpipe everytime MOT comes round. Am I right that losing the CAT in the downpipe gives most gain? If I did that would it still pass emissions running on the 2nd CAT and the CAT in the up-pipe (which I believe mine has?). Or would it be better to do more expensive option of losing the 2nd(centre) CAT with a straight thru but replace the downpipe with a sports CAT.
With regard to the up-pipe CAT, am tryin to keep a lid on the budget (plus it looks a b***ard to change out) so was hoping leaving that in wouldn't rob too many horses?

I think the standard WRX is supposed to put out 215-220bhp. If I did these bits (panel filter, de cat or sports cat, followed by ecutek remap) I was hoping it would push up to 260-265bhp which i believe is STI territory. Does that sound realistic?

Sorry for the long post, no doubt it will get right on some peoples t*ts, and i'm sure there's far too many questions in it for any one person to answer! But hey, I'm a new boy and would really value some advice and opinions as to wether am on the right track with this stuff.

Cheers
Old 26 February 2007, 01:20 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Welcome to SNet, and for a Newbie you've already come to some good conclusions.

You're already upping the power though, with no consideration to the handling and/or brakes. My route would be....

Whiteline 22mm rear ARB with solid droplinks - £160 or so all in and DIY job - Reduces rear body roll in cornering allowing the front tyres to retain better alignment with the road surface, reducing understeer and increasing stability (probably the best £for£ mod anyone can do).

Goodridge stainless braided lines, DOT5.1 fluid and decent pads (Ferodo DSPF or Pagid Blue) - £160 - Improves pedal feel and negates fade.

Prodrive/Eibach springs and a stonking geo set-up - £400 fitted - The icing on the cake handling-wise, unless funds allow for the full monty AST coilovers (£1k+).

Green/K&N filter, allied with the intake resonator removal mod - £40

Decat up-pipe (£130ish), sports-cat down-pipe (£400-600) and decat/deresonated centre section (£85-100) exhaust (will still pass MOT & roadside checks). Then a remap. Look around for a good price, especially in the Group Buys forum where you may get it by a reputable mapper for IRO £500. GUIDE

Learn Roadcraft driving to make the best of it all

Last edited by corradoboy; 26 February 2007 at 01:50 AM.
Old 26 February 2007, 01:34 AM
midnite_impreza8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mwilliams
Hi all,

First off wanna say been gr8 reading the tips n advice from you folks, along with enjoying some hilarious bickering!

Picked up my first scoob a couple of days ago - 2001 WRX Wagon, UK spec, 43thousand on the clock, suburu history, gr8 condition. (Paid 6k - Sound ok?!) Yeah yeah I know, its the bugeye, but love em or loathe em its my first experience of the Impreza thang and i'm lovin it! I'm a family man but still a lad at heart so it kinda ticks all the boxes!
Had a 328i convertible beemer b4 (let the abuse commence) and spent a lot of time driving the other halfs M3 convertible (topped by me bird! The shame!) both of which were gr8 and get rated as real drivers cars. But gotta say - my new baby is in a different league. Permanent coathanger in gob grin going on whenever i'm behind the wheel.

Anyhow, lookin at sensible mods. Been studying up here and on the SIDC forum and starting to make a few conclusions. Opinions from you guys that know a sh*tload more about it all than me would be much appreciated though.

First up, the real no-brainer seems to be to get ecu sorted. No bolt on goodies available for mine apparently so its remap the existing. Ecutek seem to get well rated. Got an ecutek place in Bexleyheath (Kent) near me. Sanspeed. They want 650plus VAT. Is that about right? (Seemed a little trumpy to me. 650 fine but with vat its 763quid). I hear they have a decent reputation though. But if you guys know a decent place for less dollar i'm all ears.

Before I cross that bridge though i gotta do any other mods before the remap right?

The car seems to be standard except a different exhaust out the back. I think the original would have been twin small round tailpipes, mine has one big round one. Gives a nice burble but there's no manufacturers name on it so not got a clue what it is. Presuming its only the backbox thats been changed.

So i'm thinkin:
Intake - Intake kit poss not the way to go cos a; noisy b;confuse the hell out of MAF/ECU (b4 remap anyway) c;suck in warm air anyway so potentially lose performance. Seems to me from reading your combined wisdom that the standard airbox does a fairly decent job of gettin cold air in so go for a replacement panel filter, like the Green cotton (ie not oiled) for best value performance?

BOV/Dump valve - Don't bother. All it'll do is frighten old ladies with the tsssch noise, and also confuse the MAF/ECU causing overfuelling and possibly thinning the oil.

De-cat - Bear in mind I dont wanna be so loud that shop windows break when I drive past and also that I don't wanna change the downpipe everytime MOT comes round. Am I right that losing the CAT in the downpipe gives most gain? If I did that would it still pass emissions running on the 2nd CAT and the CAT in the up-pipe (which I believe mine has?). Or would it be better to do more expensive option of losing the 2nd(centre) CAT with a straight thru but replace the downpipe with a sports CAT.
With regard to the up-pipe CAT, am tryin to keep a lid on the budget (plus it looks a b***ard to change out) so was hoping leaving that in wouldn't rob too many horses?

I think the standard WRX is supposed to put out 215-220bhp. If I did these bits (panel filter, de cat or sports cat, followed by ecutek remap) I was hoping it would push up to 260-265bhp which i believe is STI territory. Does that sound realistic?

Sorry for the long post, no doubt it will get right on some peoples t*ts, and i'm sure there's far too many questions in it for any one person to answer! But hey, I'm a new boy and would really value some advice and opinions as to wether am on the right track with this stuff.

Cheers
hi 2 u mate n welcome u sure like to ask alot
first of all the price of your ecutek remap+vat sounds about right its that price from most places n your choice of panal filter is spot on green filter,dump valve ppl love or hate em ive got 1 on mine was my1st mod but they r loud,the decat pipe will make your car loud yes but u will get a decent bhp gain,as 4 the mods that u r planning to do with your remap u will get 265+from them
Old 26 February 2007, 01:35 AM
midnite_impreza8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mwilliams
Hi all,

So i'm thinkin:

Cheers
first of all the price of your ecutek remap+vat sounds about right its that price from most places n your choice of panal filter is spot on green filter,dump valve ppl love or hate em ive got 1 on mine was my1st mod but they r loud,the decat pipe will make your car loud yes but u will get a decent bhp gain,as 4 the mods that u r planning to do with your remap u will get 265+from them
Old 26 February 2007, 01:44 AM
midnite_impreza8
Scooby Regular

oops sorry 4 the double post
Old 26 February 2007, 03:00 PM
mwilliams
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the feedback fellas and for taking the time to read and reply.

Yeah sorry about that. Like a kid at Christmas with a new toy. Old enuf to know better really!

You're already upping the power though, with no consideration to the handling and/or brakes. My route would be....
Interestin stuff. Must admit, if I was planning to push her up anywhere near the 300bhp mark then handling/brakes would definitely have come into my head as a necessity. Was hoping though with gains up to around the 260 region that the stock set up would cope with the power ok. Doh! Definitely food for thought there

Have read that this lark can get addictive n expensive! Thought nah - i can control it.......

.......I can feel it spiralling out of control already! Aaaargh!

Good to hear i'm not too far off track with my forum based crash course in scoob tuning though! Will definitely look into the group buy thing with the remap.
Old 26 February 2007, 03:16 PM
92typeRA
Scooby Regular

hi welcome to SN mate as for mods i will let the pros handle it
Old 26 February 2007, 03:31 PM
mwilliams
Scooby Regular

Cheers matey!
Old 26 February 2007, 04:00 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

FYI : I have done exactly the stages described by corradoboy including Prodrive Cat downpipe, Decat up-pipe (Magnex slip jointed - smaller bore promotes early spool up on the smaller TD04).

I used Mintex 1144 brake pads on the standard disks and find they have good bite from cold, perform well through the temperature range and haven't got them to fade yet. Not too noisy, you can hear them in comparison to the standard pads, but its not a squeal, you can just hear them
biting.

The rear ARB is a 22mm Whiteline paired with solid alloy droplinks bought from API Engines makes a noticable difference - I tested the using the same large roundabout before/after fitting and the understeer was definately reduced and the car wanted to do a more controllable 4wheel drift turning into slight oversteer before I bottled out lol.

The transformation in performance and handling from standard MY01 WRX with these mods makes them well worth it - not up to a modded STi, but I'm more than happy (for now). They are all sensible mods and actually added very little loading to my insurance policy (with A Plan).

Strangely enough I was bought the roadcraft book as a pressie too !! lol

Oh, and make sure your cambelt has been/is changed.

260-ish is achievable with :
Remove centre CAT
Replace air filter with a K&N or Green Panel filter (induction kit not needed)
Replace back box for a better flow - scoobysport, Prodrive would be fine without breaking the bank or your ears.
Ecutek Remap - the first map is around 650 due to having to pay the initial Ecutek license fee. Ensure that mapper builds in some headroom for further mods (for when you do up and down pipe), and remember subsequent maps are cheaper as you have the license, but it helps to stay with the same mapper as the first mapper will probably lock their map, meaning starting again for someone else.

Last edited by funkyspider; 26 February 2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 26 February 2007, 04:40 PM
mwilliams
Scooby Regular

Thanks. Lovin this forum lark, some really informative stuff coming at me and it's greatly appreciated.

Just been out for a proper look at the back box - the only non standard bit - and found the brand label tucked away on top of it. Its a Peco Boxer. Stainless steel with 4" round tailpipe. Will that suffice as a reasonable free flowing back box? Took a look on the Peco website n they say lots of encouraging things to indicate it ain't half bad as back boxes go. But you guys may well tell me they're cack!

The system seems to be stainless and 'straight thru' from the back box right up the mid point of the car (kinda under the back of the drivers seat) where it then joins in to what presumably must be the factory centre cat with what looks like a load of heat shielding around it.

Hope that makes sense!?!
Old 26 February 2007, 09:36 PM
mwilliams
Scooby Regular

Ok looks like i've answered that question for myself. Did a search on all forums for 'Peco' and the only time it comes up is when you guys are hurling it around as abuse and taking the p*ss out of each other. Sounds like it belongs on knackered XR2's being joyridden round dodgy estates.

Damn bugger blast.

The one bit of me car I thought was already sorted and it turns out its pants!

Is a Peco boxer really that bad - as in it really should be taken off?!
Or is it just not the ideal if I was shopping from scratch.

Newbies Ay! - You gotta love em
Old 26 February 2007, 10:29 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't worry too much. It probably flows a bit better than the standard twin peashooters so keep an eye out for a secondhand Prodrive, Miltek, Afterburner or whatever during your modification route. By the time you get to remapping a better BB would be advised, but for now concentrate on more important areas.
Old 26 February 2007, 10:43 PM
mwilliams
Scooby Regular

Cheers fella. Sounds sensible to me.

Taken your advice on board with regard to handling/braking too.
Old 26 February 2007, 11:14 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

They handle absolutely superbly when you first buy them. Amazed at the 4wd and what seems like endless grip you will think I can hit that motorway roundabout at 60 nooo bother - you know one of those deceptive roundabouts with the straight bit in the middle. Then all of a sudden you'll find yourself thinking 'understeer... I've got understeer !!!'. Quite a moment the first time lol. Do I back off, do I keep my foot in, do I just close my eyes..

The whiteline rear ARB and droplinks goes quite some way to turning that into a more predicatable drift and well worth the relatively small outlay.

As for the exhaust, pleanty around on here second hand. Get rid of that centre cat first (the bit with all the heat shielding stuff) and replace with a straight through section. With them being stainless, second hand is as good as new assuming it's not been whacked - its only gonna get dirty anyway. Back box wise, again second hand stainless is fine and it all depends how loud you want to be.

4inch plus Jap style is gonna get you heard, and possibly get on ur t'ts on motorway after a month or so - It did me.

OEM STi back box will be relatively quiet with a little burble and would be fine
Prodrive back box, a little more burble, slightly better flow rate
Scoobysport (my choice) has 3.5inch rolled tip exit, nice burble at idle/low revs and sounds good when booting it, but bearable on motorway and no louder than the roadnoise.
Hayward and Scott 3.5inch is virtually identical to scoobysport

Have a look on the gallery - ppl love to show off their boxes

If you decat the up-pipe and down-pipe I actually thought I'd lost some of the burble at higher revs, definately sounds different now.

Peco - I really did have one of those on my XR2 years ago, it was them or Janspeed
Old 26 February 2007, 11:29 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I reckon corradoboy and funky have this one covered !!

By the way, when I joined Scoobynet 8 months ago corradoboy and Trap2Terrorist (dearly departed ), gave me similar advice, which I followed.
I'm more than happy with the results.

Andy
Old 27 February 2007, 12:14 AM
mwilliams
Scooby Regular

Yes indeed, the guys have got me on the straight n narrow!

funkyspider They handle absolutely superbly when you first buy them. Amazed at the 4wd and what seems like endless grip you will think I can hit that motorway roundabout at 60 nooo bother - you know one of those deceptive roundabouts with the straight bit in the middle. Then all of a sudden you'll find yourself thinking 'understeer... I've got understeer !!!'. Quite a moment the first time lol. Do I back off, do I keep my foot in, do I just close my eyes..
That sums it up perfectly. Just can't believe the grip its got!I'm used to a 96' 328i and an M3 of the same year neither with traction control. So if I hit a wet roundabout (on a quiet road of course!) it usually ended up very sideways. You always know you're pushing it when you're watching where yer going out the side window!
But the scoob feels like it'll never break away! I know it'd bite me in the a*se eventually so not taking liberties. Just getting the feel of her. I'm sure the understeer moment will be quiet an eyebrow raiser when it comes. From what I hear when a 4wd breaks away the best bet sometimes is to grow a big pair of kahoonas and keep your foot in it! All good fun.

All I know is when I get back behind the wheel of my girlfriends M3, if I relax and forget what car i'm in, things are gonna get well out of shape!

Talking of the missus, she didn't reckon the WRX was as quick as she thought it would be (she's only been a passenger) but I honestly think that's because it puts its power down with so little fuss. It probably doesn't feel as quick because it isn't scrabbling and squirming up the road!

Time to release some of the potential in this great car. So - let the modifying commence!!!

Now where's the phone nmber for that remortgage company......