Notices

Building a STRONG ej20, what are the must have`s/do`s.

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2007, 12:30 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a STRONG ej20, what are the must have`s/do`s.

Im rebuilding the engine on my my94 v1 sti, I want to build an engine that is capable of with-standing a decent amount of power with out having to worry about my wallet to much when i floor it. When i say decent power im talking some where in the region off 500/500 fiqures.

What are the major do`s and dont`s and must have`s?.

I already have a decent condition closed deck block which i no is the best block to start with when considering a big power rebuild, but what would you people recomend doing/fitting, Is there anything that can be/should be done to/fitted to the block/heads when going down this route?.

I do have some ideas and pencilled in plans, but i wanted a bit of info from some of the gurus out there, what do you guys recommend, your info would be very much apriciated.

Thanks

Worbs.
Old 25 February 2007, 12:44 PM
Jam Performance
Former Sponsor

Default ..

Forged pistons, forged rods, uprated bearings,uprated bolts,uprated crankshaft, have a look at RCM's website they have got everything u need !
Old 25 February 2007, 12:51 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by K18LLR
Forged pistons, forged rods, uprated bearings,uprated bolts,uprated crankshaft, have a look at RCM's website they have got everything u need !

Thanks for the reply mate, think i should of been a bit more specific i ment machining work for instance, adding extra dowls, O ringing (what is O ringing a block anyway??) etc, all that kind off thing, as i said mate cheers for your reply.

Also would shot peening componenets have any sort of affect, could you shot peen a forged rod for example? would it weaken it/strengthen it? (just a crazy thought).
Old 25 February 2007, 01:40 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

I doubt it would be necessary to o ring the block given what goals you have in mind. Good head bolts and steel gaskets will be fine.

Again most of the rods are somewhat over kill for lots of applications I would leave these as they where intended to be used for the manufacturer as with most.

Building a motor strong enough in most cases is straight forward obtaining the power levels expected is sometimes a little harder.
Old 25 February 2007, 01:52 PM
Jam Performance
Former Sponsor

Default ..

i think u need to ask some of the serious engine builders out there, try private messagine zen performance, im very sure paul will have the answers to your questions!
Old 25 February 2007, 01:55 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

speak to mark at lateral performance, he is one of the best in the game
Old 25 February 2007, 02:00 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

Good input ..........
Old 25 February 2007, 02:14 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *Un-ink*
I doubt it would be necessary to o ring the block given what goals you have in mind. Good head bolts and steel gaskets will be fine.

Again most of the rods are somewhat over kill for lots of applications I would leave these as they where intended to be used for the manufacturer as with most.

Building a motor strong enough in most cases is straight forward obtaining the power levels expected is sometimes a little harder.

OK thanks, So with my fully cdb if i had say for example wiseco pistons, set of rcm h section rods, uprated bottem end shells, bearings etc, arp rod/head bolts, uprated head gaskets, uprated oil pump & cooler and a few other bits i should have an engine that could withstand the 500/500 i have as a target for my project?.
Old 25 February 2007, 02:26 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

500/500 is good power mate, gearbox and running gear will be next!
Old 25 February 2007, 02:36 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by samcowrx
500/500 is good power mate, gearbox and running gear will be next!

Yes mate i no engine first though, then drivetrain then suspension, want the car to be very very handy on the track, iv started a project thread mate you can follow the progress of the car there if you like.
Old 25 February 2007, 02:39 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Yes the block will cope fine assuming everything else is in place and mapped correctly...

The o ring set up seems to be a option used on applications running in excess of say 2.5+ bar or motors running high boost + NOS. The main reason is the reported "better" sealing under these conditions although I am sure this is still being put to the test. So unless this is something you are planning to do in order to obtain target I would not be considering it. Also coupled with the point that most if not all the top UK impreza last season including ZEN where not o ringed for example but still managed exceptional results.
Old 25 February 2007, 02:41 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by worbs
Yes mate i no engine first though, then drivetrain then suspension, want the car to be very very handy on the track, iv started a project thread mate you can follow the progress of the car there if you like.
nice one mate, i will watch your thread
Old 25 February 2007, 03:15 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *Un-ink*
Yes the block will cope fine assuming everything else is in place and mapped correctly...

The o ring set up seems to be a option used on applications running in excess of say 2.5+ bar or motors running high boost + NOS. The main reason is the reported "better" sealing under these conditions although I am sure this is still being put to the test. So unless this is something you are planning to do in order to obtain target I would not be considering it. Also coupled with the point that most if not all the top UK impreza last season including ZEN where not o ringed for example but still managed exceptional results.
I want to think about engine strength, piston rod set ups an that first an want to be sure i have a strong base to start with, then look at achiving the desired fiqures.