Hi all! Noob with some daft q's! Locking Probs

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2007, 12:22 AM
stusmad
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi all! Noob with some daft q's! Locking Probs

Hi all!

Cool forum, I've been reading for so long I've gone cross-eyed!

I have a few Q's for you gurus that I'm hoping you can help me with but I may carry on searching rather than pose them, if I can find the answers already been posted. I do have a couple that I can't find the anwers too, so here goes....

Firstly, my car, a '96 'P' 2000 Turbo Wagon, UK Spec.

Had it for 2 weeks, and it's a scream, although is a bit of a project vehicle in that she has issues and I got her for a good £ so effectively I'm up for a laff!

I come from the world of Alfa V6 ownership so am used to "quirks" lol, Italian electrics etc!

Anyways, I digress (I made over 3000 posts on the Alfa forums just wittering and digressing!)

Q1) I bought the car with dodgy door locks and worn key. Bummer. My Wife has since snapped said article in the ignition barrel! (she hasn't got forearms like Popeye, the key is just fatigued!) Doh!
I have no other key and would like to know what I can do. I have started to dismantle the shroud, pulled out all the electric switches and moved the facia surround out to gain access but cannot now get the steering lock/barrel off. There are no apparent screws in the top of the unit clamping around the column, is this right or has someone snapped the heads off the screws?
Is there a stress free way?

Q2) I phoned my local stealer, who tells me that there's a transponder in the key? I didn't think there was on a 96 scoob, am I right? This complicates matters if there is!?!

Q3) If yes to Q2, Can I buy a barrel, new keys and just get a cat1 alarm fitted to sort the locking?

Q4) If no, what are my options then?

Q5) Apexi TT fitted, seller told me it was wired properly into the ecu, so is it easy to remove (I don't have instructions) As I want to go Cat1 alarm and am happy spooling down without a TT, which I don't like.

Have loads more Q's but I am pushing it so far with the above!

I would appreciate as much info as poss guys! I'm not exactly mech - minded but will have a go!

Cheers!

Stu.