How to prime...

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2007, 09:20 PM
2pac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to prime...

Hi there,

I am getting a new spoiler and sideskirts soon and my garage said i could save alot of labour charges if the ones i get are already primed and ready to paint, trouble is the ones im getting arent.

Is it hard to prime them? Ive seen primer spray in halfords, is it basically spraying the primer on, like and undercoat for the paint?

Any tips would be fantastic.

dave
Old 18 February 2007, 10:12 PM
2pac
Scooby Regular

and if it is a matter of spraying it on, how many layers of primer are needed?
Old 19 February 2007, 11:28 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

primer comes in various colours and you would need to speak with the bodyshop/garage to find out which colour primer you should use for the paint that will be on it eventually.

Paint spraying can bea fine art, for best results you need to be in a dry dust free atmosphere before you even start.

For the amount of coats it can vary, would say a minimum of probably 2 coats. The chances are the spoiler is not perfect and will have a few blemishes, so now would be the time to sort these out as well (bodyfiller etc), rub down and then prime again. Its not a quick job without the necessary environment etc. I did mine last year in a shed in winter, not too bad few imperfections etc but I am going to do it again soon as I now have a garage with proper lighting etc.