Notices

IC Y-Pipe Interchangability

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2007, 02:26 AM
kbahus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IC Y-Pipe Interchangability

Curious to see if the complete tmic y-pipe from an 03 wrx will bolt up to an older ej20k intercooler? It looks the same, but is it really the same dimensions?
Old 17 February 2007, 03:02 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Intercooler can be bolted off simply, take it off and compare the pipework? At this time of night you are unlikely to get a response from someone who has done this, so I suggest doing a BTTT.
Old 17 February 2007, 04:30 AM
kbahus
Scooby Regular

What I am trying to do is fit an ej20k intercooler with a solid 02+ wrx ypipe, however I have not purchased either and want to make sure this will work be for I invest. I forget it's the wrong side of the clock over the ocean.
Old 17 February 2007, 10:08 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure which version EJ20K is but the end tanks of most TMICs look similar. Probably slightly different Y-pipe dimensions though. At a guess putting a later model Y-pipe on an earlier model intercooler will end up with the turbo outlet elbow coming too close to the throttle body outlet?
Old 17 February 2007, 03:34 PM
kbahus
Scooby Regular

I am not sure if that would be an issue or not. I really want to run the v4/v5 sti intercooler on my v2 sti but can't find one for a decent price. I have sourced the black ej20k intercooler (v4 wrx) which looks exactly the same but does not have the solid y-pipe. I can get a solid y-pipe for a new age wrx and then would be able to combine that with the Samco tcs22 hose kit. I just need to be certain that a new age solid y-pipe will bolt up to that intercooler before I start importing parts that are a fairly spendy.
Old 17 February 2007, 04:22 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

If it's a v4 WRX TMIC, just forget about this Y-pipe/Samco combo. All you're doing is spending money that doesn't need to be spent, and adding extra extra complication in getting your charge from the compressor outlet to the intercooler.

All you need to do is get your v4 WRX TMIC, throw away the plastic pipe, replace it with the proper Samco TCS86 three-piece turbo hose kit and you've got yourself a v4 STi TMIC. I very much doubt that a metal STi Y-pipe and the 4-piece Samco kit you're thinking of will flow any better.

The only question I can't answer is whether a setup like this that would be the exact equivalent of a v4 STi TMIC, would actually fit on a v2 without any mods. I know plenty of people have done it though.

IMHO all you need is the 3-piece WRX hose kit, not the STi kit and an STi Y-pipe.
Old 17 February 2007, 04:40 PM
kbahus
Scooby Regular

This is what I am trying to accomplish:
https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...-my95-wrx.html

The problem is not flow of the pipes, it is hooking up that Samco hose in the link to the y-pipe as shown, thus the reason I need a solid Y-pipe. Unless you are thinking of a different solution for using my factory dump valve?
Old 17 February 2007, 05:35 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Whoa! That's way over my head! I don't think it helps that I know very little about the early slanty intake layout. A bit of a curve ball, but how hard would it be fitting a front mount instead of trying to get another TMIC to fit?
Old 17 February 2007, 07:23 PM
kbahus
Scooby Regular

I had a fmic but sold it, I decided not to deal with cutting my front bumper and risk blowing couplers and such. I would like to stick with the tmic for simplicity. I am not out to make a ton of power.
Old 17 February 2007, 09:57 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

I have not seen a 03 wrx version alloy y piece that is similar to the sti v3/v5 version. The 03 wrx is more like the standard v3/v5 version, so your samco hose kit will not work with it. The sti versions have the extra alloy elbow at the end. Where as the standard dont hence you need a different Y shape samco kit. Plus the Y shaped samco kit does not have extra hose to connect to your dump valve. So you will need an alloy T shaped hose adaptor aswell with the Y shaped samco kit. That way you can keep your standard dv & its position.

I looked at fitting a later standard uk tmic to my v2 but the under hoses seemed a little more work. Luckly for me a sti4 tmic came available with the alloy Y shaped piping. I cut the orignal alloy elbow from the front of the tmic & tig welded a plate over the hole where the v4 dv would fit.

I would buy the standard v3/v4 alloy pipe (end fitments) at least you know that they will bolt up (pattern wise) then use the Y shaped samco hose kit with a T alloy hose adaptor. Cut the Y shaped hose & add the T alloy adpator hose. You will only then need a shorter small hose to connect the dv to it. I suppose you will need a few more jubilee clips as well.

Ticky
Old 17 February 2007, 11:49 PM
kbahus
Scooby Regular

Ticky, thanks for that info!

Here is the Y-pipe I was thinking about getting :
eBay Motors: JDM 02 03 04 05 06 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI TMIC Y-PIPE (item 290084159846 end time Feb-18-07 17:25:10 PST)

It looks like the alloy v4/5 unit but can't compare in person. I also know of a brand new wrx ej20k intercooler w/o any pipe work so I would have to buy something.
Old 18 February 2007, 10:36 AM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by kbahus
Ticky, thanks for that info!

Here is the Y-pipe I was thinking about getting :
eBay Motors: JDM 02 03 04 05 06 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI TMIC Y-PIPE (item 290084159846 end time Feb-18-07 17:25:10 PST)

It looks like the alloy v4/5 unit but can't compare in person. I also know of a brand new wrx ej20k intercooler w/o any pipe work so I would have to buy something.

I just had a look at the ebay item. It looks like the 2 bolts holes are not inline with each other & I am sure that the v3/v4 bolt holes are inline. The ebay Y pipe bolts holes are at a angle so I dont think it would fit your v4 intercooler.
Save your money & try some breakers I am sure there should be atleast one that can sort you out with the correct fitment Y pipe. Even if it means getting a non sti item.
Old 18 February 2007, 04:54 PM
kbahus
Scooby Regular

Sorry for my misunderstanding, but what is a breaker? I did see a good picture of the wrx intercooler and you are correct, the flanges both look straight. Good catch.
Old 18 February 2007, 06:22 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Breakers:

Subaru impreza dismantlers, parts etc. Instead of buying new you can buy good used parts.

Grade A.
Japperformanceparts (Crawley)
HDC Subaru
Scoobybits
There are a few others but I cannot remember all the names.

Grade A subaru have supplied me in the past & have been good.