Notices

Changing front end on a 1.8 GL?

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2007, 08:48 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing front end on a 1.8 GL?

Hey guys, I don't know much about scoobies but enough to know that id like one as my next car, however the only decent one I can afford to insure so far seems to be the 1.8 non turbo gl. Id like a four door 4wd one of these, but so far have only found them with this front end:

So I was wondering if it's possible to change the bonnet/grill/front bumper/headlights and whatever else I'd need to make it look like this

I have a fair bit of mechanical knowledge so I have no worries about doing it if everything fits in right, and to my uneducated eyes it certainly looks feasible as the headlights look a similar shape to me? But I'd appreciate any input off you guys as to what I should do. Any suggestions would be brilliant. Also does anyone here own or driven a 1.8? how good are they in terms of performance and driveability? Bearing in mind im moving from a 1.4 corsa, will i notice much difference?
Thanks!
Old 14 February 2007, 08:59 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Yea you can make it look like a turbo model, Might wanna take alook here to get more help .:ImprezaSport.net:.

Bearing in mind you have chosen two different shapes above, ones pre-facelift classic and the blue one is a face-lift classic. Notice the slightly sharper angles to the headlights and raise in the centre of the bonnet.

If you click my view my scooby on the left of this comment you can see a turbo version of the red 1.8gl you picked. To be honest they are quite heavy and the 1.8 is slightly under powered with only 100bhp, even the 2.0litre with 125bhp does 0-60 in 9.1seconds which is about 1-2 seconds quicker than a 1.4corsa so the 1.8gl will be around the same, i'd guess.

hope some of that helps,

Gaz
Old 14 February 2007, 09:08 PM
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much. Sorry for all the questions, but is this a face-lift gl model?
Looking at it now i can see the raise in the bonnet, as the centre part of the bonnet comes further forward and is flush with the level of the headlights. I have seen several wrx/sti replicas on ebay based on 1.8/2.0 litre gls, and they look quite similar to the one I've posted above (purely in basic shape)
If the 1.8 is similar or slightly better in acceleration to my corsa, id imagine the four wheel drive would make the difference. I know the 1.6 gl is the same power as my corsa. Thanks again

Last edited by Guest; 14 February 2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old 14 February 2007, 09:15 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Yeah thats a facelift mate. 1996/7 onwards is facelift but some pre1996 models get converted to the facelift models. I have a 2.0litre sport pre-facelift as well as the WRX and its nice to drive, fairly fast and ok on fuel but due to 4 wheel drive has really good grip and can be thrown in to corners quite hard...but be careful because it can understeer like a bitch.

Gaz
Old 14 February 2007, 09:22 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazJenno
Yeah thats a facelift mate. 1996/7 onwards is facelift but some pre1996 models get converted to the facelift models. I have a 2.0litre sport pre-facelift as well as the WRX and its nice to drive, fairly fast and ok on fuel but due to 4 wheel drive has really good grip and can be thrown in to corners quite hard...but be careful because it can understeer like a bitch.

Gaz
Hey bud, youre in the same area as me! And im not worried about understeer, ive had my fair share of that in this crappy corsa that i want to get rid of. Can I ask what you mean by 'converted' to facelift models? It must be pretty difficult to make a pre 96 impreza look like a facelift?
Old 14 February 2007, 09:28 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Not really all you need to do is change the bonnet, lights and grill. The pre-1996 bumper can fit either model.

Btw i'm wanting to sell my 2.0litre sport Estate. Its got the same bumper as the WRX, 77kmiles, fssh, cd player, 10months mot... I bought it about 9 months ago with a dodgy gearbox which I still havent replaced but it runs fine with the gearbox thats in it at the moment it just whines in 1st gear alot, I will be changing the gearbox eventually and clutch while im at it but obviously then I'll want more for it.

Gaz
Old 14 February 2007, 09:32 PM
Scooby Regular

Thanks a lot for that, however Im doing an apprenticeship in automtotive engineering (motor mechanics) and for the forseeable future im on 90 quid a week, so not looking to buy a scooby just yet

Trending Topics

Old 14 February 2007, 09:34 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

You dont go to rhyl college do you?
Old 14 February 2007, 09:59 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazJenno
You dont go to rhyl college do you?
Nope, coleg menai in llangefni, on the island. The garage I work in is in bangor where i live though.

Just had an insurance quote of 1200 quid on a 2 litre 4wd facelift sport. Good for an 18 year old? problem is its with a different insurer to my current one, and ive still got 10 months on my current policy and dont wanna cancel as ill lose loads of money and my current no claims.
Looks like ill be waiting till my current policy is over, when ive got 2 years ncb and going for it then.

Last edited by Guest; 14 February 2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 14 February 2007, 10:10 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

ahh right, I go to Rhyl College doing ND Automotive Tech. Im 19 insured through business policy as a named driver on both WRX and sport...that usually makes people sick when they hear that but I'm very lucky. Look at it this way if you could you would, and I have.

Good luck with your hunt tbh the preface lift 2.0litre sport is a good car and the engine doesnt really go wrong and they are cheaper, and if you were going to change the bonnet for a turbo one with the vents anyway you might as well do the face lift yourself in the process. Cheaper car and Insurance with the looks of the later model.

but like ya said best to wait till your other policy is over, unless you can change the vehcile to a preface lift with the same insurer?

Give us a shout if you need any other help, I'm local, abergele way.

Gaz
Old 14 February 2007, 10:26 PM
Scooby Regular

Nah, thing is my current insurer wont touch me on a scoob, but they were the cheapest on my corsa sport. But ive now found my previous insurer who ive just left for the new one, is the one that will do me 1200 quid tpft on a scoob sport.
What ill have to do then is wait till my current policy is over, and have a scooby ready for the renewal. By which point (hopefully) ill have a license for two years and two years no claims, which should bring the insurance down to under a grand. We'll wait and see.
Thanks for the help offer anwyay dude, do you have msn? ive pmed you my addy in case.