Bizzarre coincidence or linked ?? Speedo/Engine related

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2007, 08:33 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Bizzarre coincidence or linked ?? Speedo/Engine related

Hi

Something tells me the following is linked, something also tells me it's going to be expensive.

Driving up the M1 this morning and the speedo dies, sitting on zero, rev counter worked as did fuel gauge and temp gauge followed two minutes later by the Check Engine light, about 3 miles later I wanted to move from the middle to the fast top overtake Mr middle lane , so gave it some revs as the fast lane was a lot faster than I was without my speedo, as the revs went over 4K the engine felt like it was about to expire, serious juddering as if the fuel was getting through in tiny amounts, eased off the throttle and it was fine, so I had a play about, again over 4k revs it was juddering, it's dificult to explain unless you were there almost like high speed kangarooing, pulled into the services and popped the bonnet, nothing untoward, I had the engine idling and increased the revs and again it did the same thing and you could see the engine didn't like it, it was rocking/vibrating a bit, not good, if I kept the revs below 4K it was fine, the only other thing I noticed was fuel consumption up, and, I had to guess here, the revs seemed to be up, I usually cruise at 80-85-90 on the motorway and the revs will be between 3 and 3.5K, the revs were nearer the 4K mark, and I really didn't feel I was going anyway near the 80-85 mph mark, could this be an ECU problem ?? if so how many great british pounds do we think I'll be looking at ??

Anyone ever experience anything like this ??

I really can't complain, it will be 9 in a couple of weeks and has served me very very well for 165903 miles, as well as the 75 I did today which it didn't clock up !

Thanks for taking the time to read

Cheers
Old 14 February 2007, 08:41 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The speedo cable has come loose or is damaged. Depending on model year that is pre97. Or your speed sensor is faulty. Hence why your car wont rev over 4000rpm as the ecu has no speed signal so it goes into safety mode above 4000rpm.

Cost would depend on what you find.
Loose or disconnected speedo cable cost nothing just push back in. You need to make sure the spring clip is still in place. This usually holds the cable to stay fixed in place.

I am not sure of the cost of a new or used speed sensor (electronic speedo)

Ticky.
Old 14 February 2007, 08:51 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Limited revs due to LimpHomeMode as said above, due to no speed signal. Find speedo cable going into gearbox and see if its still connnected if not connnect...

if so follow speedo cable through the bulkhead into drivers footwell and up behind speedo gauge and using a torch see if its plugged in the back of the dial (this can be hard to see and fiddly to reach especially if you have big hands) connect it or push it in further.

If its all connected and still isnt working cable could have snapped or the little plastic speedo gear in the gearbox has gone wrong? which may require the gearbox out? but I could be wrong as I havent had to fix one....

Hope its a quick fix

Gaz
Old 15 February 2007, 09:12 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys