Notices

Oil consumption question

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2007, 03:08 PM
a_little_feisty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil consumption question

My MY06 STI is burning what I feel is a ridiculous amount of oil ... Typically 5 litres lasts approximately 1 month ... The car is my daily drive and I average 50 miles per day to and from work at average speeds on dual carriageway and A roads ... it does get driven a little harder at weekends ... Subaru say I must be "driving it like I stole it" as 1 litre of oil should last 1200 miles ... so by my calculations there has to be some kind of problem here and it is costing me a flipping fortune in oil ... The problem only started at 10000+ miles ... Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

Cheers
Nic
Old 06 February 2007, 03:12 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I didn't think cars had actually "used" oil since about 1977!

I've never once had to top up my Impreza between 7.5k mile services.
Old 06 February 2007, 03:19 PM
wrxfox
Scooby Regular

my engine used to use a lot of oil but since i changed to a semi-synth oil with no other changes i never use a single drop of oil .
Old 06 February 2007, 03:23 PM
WetPatch
Scooby Regular

Something wrong there mate, if ur burning that amount of oil there def something up. Also i thougt cars didnt burn oil just used it to lube the engine. Also if its burning its getting burnt into something inside ur engine so u may want to ceck that asap. Sure u not got a leak? I recently just replaced my half saft seals around my gear box due to this
Old 06 February 2007, 03:26 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

My 03 STi never uses a drop regardless of oil type (currently Motul 5W-40). Done 44k miles. Your consuption works out at about 150 miles/pint, this is excessive and engine must be a candidate for warranty replacement. Even 1200 miles/litre is a highish usage. Don't be fobbed off by garage/SUK blaming your driving, this is nonsense.
Old 06 February 2007, 03:42 PM
a_little_feisty
Scooby Regular

Definitely no leak and subaru have checked this out too ... I always use fully synthetic oil as per their instructions ... They gave me copy of a memo which had been issued because of the concerns with oil consumption on the 2.5 engine ... I have told them repeatedly that I think the consumption is excessive ... I have never had to top up oil between services on any car I have owned and told them this, but as it is my first scoob I wasn't sure if it might be different ... they said I should be checking it once a week anyway, which sounds like a load of bollards to me ...

Car went back to them yesterday as it also has a knocking noise at low speeds, particularly on turning (definitely not dccd) ... I have been reporting mileage and consumption to them for last 2 months and I just picked it back up again ... They have now given me a sheet to monitor consumption for another 3 weeks as they think there may be an engine problem ... they also say they think knocking may be linked to oil issue, but I get the feeling that is a bit of a fob-off ... If oil consumption still deemed too high after monitoring they now say the engine will need to be replaced

I wonder if I will be able to claim back all the money I have spent on oil under warranty too
Old 06 February 2007, 03:46 PM
WetPatch
Scooby Regular

I think there fobbing u off. Id starting making a noise if i was u and tell them u want the car replaced, there ur rights and ur intitled to them no matter what the garage says.
Old 06 February 2007, 03:50 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Measure accurately the oil you put in and the distance you are travelling. If you say 5 litres in a month, there is something wrong, definately. Did you move over to full synthetic after it was run in? Is there any blue smoke from the exhaust when you rev it?

My own car uses a little bit of oil, but it has forged pistons.

Andy
Old 06 February 2007, 04:04 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Mine uses 1lt every 1000 miles, which is apparently completely normal.
Old 06 February 2007, 04:13 PM
a_little_feisty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Mine uses 1lt every 1000 miles, which is apparently completely normal.
Yep, they say the average is 1200 miles per litre for the 2.5 engine, but that it will be slightly less if you drive it harder ... I have deliberately not driven it as hard to prove that it is not my driving that is the problem and the consumption has still remained stupidly high.
Old 06 February 2007, 04:22 PM
a_little_feisty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
Measure accurately the oil you put in and the distance you are travelling. If you say 5 litres in a month, there is something wrong, definately. Did you move over to full synthetic after it was run in? Is there any blue smoke from the exhaust when you rev it?

My own car uses a little bit of oil, but it has forged pistons.

Andy
Have been measuring and reporting it to them since before Christmas ... after that they said bring it in again which I did yesterday ... at least today they have finally admitted that there may be a problem ... They have now given me sheet to complete, so for the next 3 weeks I have to check and measure every saturday ... First time I had to put oil in was post 10000 miles service, when problem first occurred ... Rang them up and they said use fully synthetic oil so this is what has been used ever since ... Will check for blue smoke later ...

They said warranty "should" cover it ... I said there had better not be any such thing as "should" ... more like "will most definitely" ... Still can't believe that a car that is 9 months old may need a new engine!!!!!

My poor car ... it was bad enough having to drive their poxy punto courtesy car for a day ... I can't bear the thought of having to drive it whilst they replace the engine ... I think it is only fair that they should give me the PPP demonstrator they have for the duration of the rebuild
Old 06 February 2007, 04:28 PM
shadower
Scooby Regular

Hi

Yes i have a 2.5 06 sti and that also uses about a litre every 700/800 miles
ive also been told its nomal
Old 06 February 2007, 04:29 PM
pj748r
Scooby Regular

My My05 Wrx has used about 1 litre in just over 14k including a trip to The 'Ring and the 'cannonball' style run to catch the ferry on the way home(speeds didn't drop much below 1@*mph thru Belgium and France!!
Old 06 February 2007, 05:50 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi your car should not be using that amount of oil, I have a MY99 with 93000 on the clock, and I don’t put any oil in it, between oil changes at 6000 miles.
Keep on at them, and ask for them to get someone from IM technical to look at it.
It could be a cracked ring, I know some of the modifiers on here have had problems using 2.5 blocks from the states, regarding oil consumption, but they will be running more boost than your STI.
Old 06 February 2007, 10:31 PM
mike2.5subaru
Scooby Regular

So sorry to read this post. I've not needed to top up the oil at all in 7500 miles, 06 2.5 sti
Old 06 February 2007, 11:00 PM
Yamarashi
Scooby Regular

As the others have said, I'd be pushing the dealer for a replacement and not taking no as an answer. Dont forget you can call Subaru UK or write to them if you want to get the dealer to listen a bit better