PPP Power-less....

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2007, 02:36 PM
adturb
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPP Power-less....

Hi there, hoping for some help!

I have a 51 reg WRX and occasionally if I'm giving it a bit of a thrash the engine light comes on. The first time this happened I took it straight to Subaru who said the fault code indicated the camshaft sensor. They did say that it wasn't a hard fault and would have cleared after 6 ignition cycles, but if it happened again to replace the sensor. As it has happen about 4 or 5 times since then (I've had the car 3 months). I've ordered a new one (£130!!! ), but i'm not convinced as sensors generally work or don't. Maybe a wiring or connector problem?

This has all been leading up to the real question, why don't I ALWAYS have power past 5,000RPM? It seems to tail off from about 5k most of the time, but occasionally it doesn't tail off until about 6.5k . It has the PPP kit so should have 265BHP, and sometimes it feels like it does, but most of the time it doesn't. My MPG is pretty inconsistant, it varies between 22 and 28mpg. Is is possibly related to the camshaft sensor problem? It's fairly embarassing that my mates Civic Type R is quicker

Anyone have any ideas about either of the above before i spend loads of money at Subaru?
Cheers
Old 26 January 2007, 03:03 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it could be the sensor at fault they can break down when hot and give false readings
i know of other cars where the ecu restricts maximum output if a sensor has a fault presume subsru is no different
would get it changed first then check the power