Notices

Classic Help 330bh?????????????

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2007, 08:35 AM
Scoobydoo160
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Help 330bh?????????????

Guys, I would greatly appreciate your advice, I have an MY2000 PPP with just 30k, in absolute mint condition.

Im aiming to take the power up to the 300-330bh mark, but want to keep the reliability of the car as good as possible.

I have decided to go with a IHI VF34 turbo, for fast spool, relatively early boost and good mid range, I understand I am limited with top end power because of the classic gearbox.

I am also upgrading to a walbro 255 pump and sti 550cc injectors.

(If anyone is aware of supplyers or have these parts for sale I would be interested).

I have fitted a Blitz nur spec r exhaust and induction kit, and am awaiting delivery of an APS Dual entry TMIC and bov.

I am bassed in surrey so will probably have the car mapped at DS Automotives, or take the journey up to TSL, using an Ekutec re-map.

This is where im getting confused, where are the major weekpoints. I have had varied advice concerning gear box and short block upgrades and modification.
Is it necessary to upgrade to an A6 os US Spec 2.5 short block, or can the internals be uprated. If so where can this be done and how much will it cost.

As for gearboxes people, what would be the best route. Im guessing this will be a later modification however would be nice to have done for peace of mind. I have considered Type RA 6 speed boxes!! How easy is this to do, or as advised by DSA have the existing unit rebuilt using quafe internals, I am still awaiting them to get back to me with a price.

As mentioned guys I would greatly appreciate you feedback and suggestions.

Many thanks
Rob
Old 21 January 2007, 09:17 AM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For 330 bhp you dont need a new short block or anything remotley like that.

You have an exhaust and filter, your going to add a turbo and a bigger TMIC.

Just get it mapped, should be somewhere in that region no problem.

TBH it would probably do 330on the standard 440 injectors if you upped the base fuel pressure a bit, but having 550's wont hurt.

Oh and if your down south you could try Bob Rawle in Swindon for mapping, he also does sessions out of south london too.

Cheers

Dan.
Old 21 January 2007, 10:03 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Scoobydoo160
Guys, I would greatly appreciate your advice, I have an MY2000 PPP with just 30k, in absolute mint condition.

Im aiming to take the power up to the 300-330bh mark, but want to keep the reliability of the car as good as possible.

I have decided to go with a IHI VF34 turbo, for fast spool, relatively early boost and good mid range, I understand I am limited with top end power because of the classic gearbox.

I am also upgrading to a walbro 255 pump and sti 550cc injectors.

(If anyone is aware of supplyers or have these parts for sale I would be interested).

I have fitted a Blitz nur spec r exhaust and induction kit, and am awaiting delivery of an APS Dual entry TMIC and bov.

I am bassed in surrey so will probably have the car mapped at DS Automotives, or take the journey up to TSL, using an Ekutec re-map.

This is where im getting confused, where are the major weekpoints. I have had varied advice concerning gear box and short block upgrades and modification.
Is it necessary to upgrade to an A6 os US Spec 2.5 short block, or can the internals be uprated. If so where can this be done and how much will it cost.

As for gearboxes people, what would be the best route. Im guessing this will be a later modification however would be nice to have done for peace of mind. I have considered Type RA 6 speed boxes!! How easy is this to do, or as advised by DSA have the existing unit rebuilt using quafe internals, I am still awaiting them to get back to me with a price.

As mentioned guys I would greatly appreciate you feedback and suggestions.

Many thanks
Rob
Look here mate

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...xperience.html

Choice of mapper is critical for car longevity. As the gearbox and engine internals will be taken into account in the map by someon who knows what they're doing.

Mine made 319bhp on a day with 30 degree ambients

Ns04

Ns04
Old 21 January 2007, 10:47 AM
timchump
Scooby Regular

Hi

I am running a vf34 on a my99 with a similar spec to yours:
sti8 topmount intercooler, uprated fuel pump, hks exhaust etc etc,
As nso4 says, i don't think you will need 550 injectors to run 330bhp as my car achieved 333bhp with the standard 440's.

I'm not sure whether it is a good idea to run a blitz induction kit, as apparently the MAF on 99 and 00my cars are prone to failure and the blitz induction filtration properties aren't great, best just to get an uprated pannel filter. IMHO

I was also advised by an impreza gearbox rebuilder/supllier that my99 and 00 boxes are just as strong as that of a p1 and sti5 and 6 just with different ratios and there is no need to replace it at the power levels im running until, and if it breaks, apparently it all depends if its had a hard or easy life.

Figures from Bob Rawle remap
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...HAMP/graph.jpg

I can testify the vf34 does give excellent mid range
Good luck!

Last edited by timchump; 21 January 2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 21 January 2007, 11:17 AM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

I'm also running a VF34 on an MY00 but with a FMIC.

Mine made 312bhp on Powerstation's Rollers, probably a little more to come.

As already said the 440 injectors should be fine up to about 330bhp, STI of this age had 440's anyway, the newage STI's got the 565's but these are different fitment. Adjustable FPR is probably a good idea so your mapper can raise the fuel pressure slightly to get a bit more out of the injectors.

The Gearbox is close to the limit at this sort of power some break, some don't, think it comes down to how you drive it, mines been on the standard clutch and box at this power for over a year.

I've got the Blitz SUS induction Kit on mine and as tinchimp said the filtration is not the best, i've had 2 new MAF's in 3 years, but they tend to go with most induction kits.
Old 21 January 2007, 11:35 AM
Damocell
Scooby Regular

About to do a similar upgrade, but for safety fitted an STI 5 gearbox, rear diff and Exedy Organic Clutch so that I hopefully won't have any trouble from the drivetrain.

Didn't cost too much in the end and the ratio's of the STI 5 are very similar to the UK's, but you get better acceleration in 3rd and above.

I prefered to outlay the cash before hand rather than fit it, blow my gearbox and not have a car for a few days as I need mine for work.

Damo

Edited to say: The ratios of the 5 speed RA box will be extremely short with the UK's 7000rpm rev limit, top speed will be limited by the gearbox to 120mph, also a 6 speeder maybe overkill and add weight. The STI 5 box and diff was also found on the P1.

Last edited by Damocell; 21 January 2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 21 January 2007, 12:08 PM
Scoobydoo160
Scooby Regular

Default Many Thanks

Gents
Thanks very much for the response, much appreciated and a really great help.

Thanks again

Rob