Notices

2005 STI Exhausts - Experience changing sections ?!

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2007, 03:52 PM
Virtual Light
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 STI Exhausts - Experience changing sections ?!

Hi

I was hoping someone would have the answer to the following, apologies that its a long read but on searching I can't really find the answer I am after. I've given some background info to give you an idae of what I'm after....

I currenly have a 2005 STi (non-PPP). I have nearly had the car a year now and love it, except for the sound...

Back in 1999 I imported an STi 5 Type-R limited and loved it. No doubt I'll be corrected if wrong, but this came with a single CAT in the downpipe, a resonator in the centre, and the STi backbox.

I changed the backbox for a ScoobySport backbox and improved the soundtrack of that car incredibly. Had a strong low burble, loud (but not deafening) roar on acceleration, and great pops and an occasional bang on overrun.

The 2005 STi out of the box is quieter and not as audibly exciting as the old Japanese STi's. It just doesn't sound like the WRC clones of old...

So, firstly I've changed the STi backbox for a Scoobyworld RaceBox which has given me the nice low burble back, and a great roar on acceleration. (I chose this box over the Ninja and Afterburner as I do mainly motorway miles at the moment and didn't want cabin boom, but still want the noise when I'm playing on the backroads).

However, call me a kid but I miss the pops and occasional bang..

I believe the new 2005 STi exhaust is a single CAT in the downpipe, a new CAT pipe containing another CAT, then a centre pipe and the backbox. What I am unsure of is whether the centre pipe has a cat, a resonator, or is straight through.

Q1). What is in the centre pipe by default ?

Q2). If I want to get the pops and bangs back, without booming in the cabin, do I -

(a). Replace the CAT pipe, (that links downpipe to centre pipe), with a de-cat pipe or a type of fast flow or sport cat pipe?

Or

(b). Leave the CAT pipe and replace the centre pipe with a straight through pipe or resonator (if there is currently a CAT in there) ?

Many thanks in advance for your views on this...

Scott
Old 22 January 2007, 10:05 AM
KenS55STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott

I went from a 98 sti to a 2001 sti and both have the full decat scoobysport exhaust. I don't get much in the way of pops and bangs at all, I suspect this is caused by the ecu cutting fuel when you let off the throttle. The old one used to do it regularly.

Ken