anyone know....... advance multiplyer

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2007, 03:12 PM
greerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone know....... advance multiplyer

hi guys.

just come back from 1st service at prosport (1000 miles)

2.5 2006/7 wrx.

excellent service at prosport. the things people do say about the service and quality are true.

but pete plugged his laptop in to check everything. and said that the advance multiplyer on the ecu was 5.5. he said that when the car is running as it should performance wise it should be 1.

he said it might be due to me running in and only taking it past 4500 revs a few times.

can anyone suggest what i can do to get it running right.

pete said to bed this oil in and after a 100 miles give it some and it might bring up.

can i reset the euc or something to help

its bugging me that it might not be running its full pot.

many thanks

Jamie
Old 15 January 2007, 06:50 PM
KenS55STI
Scooby Regular

If you reset the ecu it will default to the Initial Advance Multiplier which I think on the later ecu is 0.5 (may be wrong on actual value here). Anyway, what it means is your ecu won't be applying the full amount of extra ignition advance (approx half of total from default) so the engine will be running less total timing than maximum. This will account for reduced performance.

As the car is used the ecu increases the multiplier and this advances the ignition. There are certain criteria it has to meet to start doing this and it could be as Pete said because you've been running in it hasn't got there yet. Usually you can get this process going quite quickly by doing a run in 4th gear starting from around 2000rpm and progressively increasing the throttle opening towards full throttle. You also need to let the revs build up, don't think 4000 will be enough.

It probably isn't worth resetting the ecu, you will not gain anything, but you will lose whatever learning has taken place already and it will have to relearn everything over again from scratch. Whilst the newage ecus learn quickly, constant fine adjustments are made and these would be erased. Just giving it a run as described should do the trick.

You would need to log data from the ecu to be able to check the multiplier.
Old 15 January 2007, 08:29 PM
prana
Scooby Regular

Your AM is based on a 4 bit word and is maxed at 16 (15+null). If the AM is 1 which he claims then your car is suffering from some serious pinging, I think AM being 1 max (at best) is used on classics and no longer on the newer programs so doesn't apply to you. Also don't think this ecu AM handles non-integer values like 5.5.

Is it possible he may be wrong ?

Last edited by prana; 15 January 2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 15 January 2007, 09:17 PM
prana
Scooby Regular

I forget to add, if your AM is 5 or 6, your turbo would not spool at all. So if you turbo is spooling then you're fine.
Old 15 January 2007, 09:19 PM
TimmyboyWRX
Scooby Regular

the optimum AM is 16 ( or so zak was telling me at the weekend on the the new age cars)
Old 15 January 2007, 09:24 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my understanding is it starts at 16 which allows it to use all of the advance map (which sits on top of the ignition base map). Then it halves to 8 if det is detected then 4 then 2 then 1 if det is still evident. Running with an AM of 1 will mean it is not using the advance map, just the base map.
Old 15 January 2007, 09:28 PM
prana
Scooby Regular

Initial value is 8 (stock). It reduces depending on the range where knock is detected so between midrange revs to around the 5500rev mark, reduction is greatest if knock is detected.
Old 15 January 2007, 09:32 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lifted from ECUTEK website : Coarse Ignition Learning
When the grade of fuel is unknown, the ECU starts by running timing for a medium octane fuel. I.e. Values from the base map plus half of values from the advance maps. The ECU will then listen for knock. Based on its presence or absence, the ECU will then slowly decrease or increase the proportion of the advance map which is added to the base map until the level of knock is at a safe level. Its goal is to add the highest proportion of the advance map wherever possible. DeltaDash allows this 'proportion' factor to be viewed live as the ECU learns optimal timing - this parameter is labelled 'Advance Multiplier' in DeltaDash and its value ranges from 0 to 16. It is the number of sixteenths of the advance map that the ECU is willing to use - 16 being good, 8 being neutral and 0 being very bad.
Old 16 January 2007, 08:10 AM
greerwrx
Scooby Regular

so if mine is running at 5.5. is this bad.

what can i do to improve it

thanks

Jamie
Old 16 January 2007, 09:07 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt worry about it until it is fully run in and you have given it some beans. Pete is very good and knows his stuff. If it was something to worry about then I am sure he would have told you
Old 16 January 2007, 10:49 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Multiplier figures ranges between 0 & 1 on later ECUs. The ECU self learns so don't worry about it too much.

Mike