Blitz Boost Controller setup query

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2007, 05:00 PM
jjcodex
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blitz Boost Controller setup query

Hi guys

I have a Blitz SBCi Color boost controller on my - um - cossie. (sorry!)

I am trying to understand the best way to establish the correct gain setting for the unit. Does anyone run one on their scooby?

Cheers

JJ
Old 13 January 2007, 10:58 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjcodex
Hi guys

I have a Blitz SBCi Color boost controller on my - um - cossie. (sorry!)

I am trying to understand the best way to establish the correct gain setting for the unit. Does anyone run one on their scooby?

Cheers

JJ
Hi Mate,
I dont mind if you got a cossie (each man to their own and all that)
I also have a Bltc SBC type R controller, I have set the gain on max all it does is keep the wastgage closed until you hit the set boost level. My gain is on 40 I think, the controller is set to 1.2 Bar with the warn set to 1.3 bar with a 10 wind back. I have had the scramble boost set to peak at 1.3 bar for a short burst as well !, once you get used to it you can adjust them all on the fly
I quite often play with the settings on the way to work
Old 16 January 2007, 08:30 PM
jjcodex
Scooby Regular

Thanks James,

That is quite interesting! I find that mine with the gain set that high tends to act quite unpredictably.

I started with a setting of about 10-15 and found this to be a little more predictable.

I am running a little more boost, but as the boost increases, it is becoming more difficult to get the controller to do a good job.

She is meant to be running about a 32 psi peak, with a 28psi hold, but to be honest this is too much for the turbo to manage at the mo.

Out of interest, do you use the auto boost function, or the manual mode?

JJ
Old 16 January 2007, 08:57 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjcodex
Thanks James,

That is quite interesting! I find that mine with the gain set that high tends to act quite unpredictably.

I started with a setting of about 10-15 and found this to be a little more predictable.

I am running a little more boost, but as the boost increases, it is becoming more difficult to get the controller to do a good job.

She is meant to be running about a 32 psi peak, with a 28psi hold, but to be honest this is too much for the turbo to manage at the mo.

Out of interest, do you use the auto boost function, or the manual mode?

JJ

Hi mate,

Your running a lot more boost than I am, I would imagine your getting boost spikes. The gain controls the speed at which the boost rises if it's set too high you can get spikes on gearchange etc. I dont use the scramble boost mine is set nto 1 Bar 1.2 bar and 1.3 bar and the fourth setting is for experementing !
You can set it to 28 Psi then set the scramble boost to take it up to 32 Psi for a few seconds but it takes a bit of tuning !
Where are abouts are you based ?
Is it the single solonoid controller because that could be a problem as well ?
I would set the boost to 1 bar and then when your happy it's stable dial in .5 bar on the scramble boost and keep increasing the level of boost on the scramble until your hit the 32 psi target then worry about how long it will hold the 32 psi
hope this makes sense
good luck
james
Old 19 January 2007, 01:10 PM
jjcodex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by james-wrx
Hi mate,

Your running a lot more boost than I am, I would imagine your getting boost spikes. The gain controls the speed at which the boost rises if it's set too high you can get spikes on gearchange etc. I dont use the scramble boost mine is set nto 1 Bar 1.2 bar and 1.3 bar and the fourth setting is for experementing !
You can set it to 28 Psi then set the scramble boost to take it up to 32 Psi for a few seconds but it takes a bit of tuning !
Where are abouts are you based ?
Is it the single solonoid controller because that could be a problem as well ?
I would set the boost to 1 bar and then when your happy it's stable dial in .5 bar on the scramble boost and keep increasing the level of boost on the scramble until your hit the 32 psi target then worry about how long it will hold the 32 psi
hope this makes sense
good luck
james
Hi James

Thanks for the input - yes it does make sense.

I am based in Sunny (um windy and rainy) Exeter, in Devon.

The controller uses a dual solenoid setup. The base boost (set by the Actuator) is set to about 1 bar, which means that at 1 bar, the solenoid just remains closed.

The car fuelling and setup is geared to take a peak of 32psi, and hold at 28psi, so you are absolutely right sustained 32psi not desirable!

That said, I have found that as the boost goes up, the controllers ability to handle it well seems to deteriorate. It may be that the turbo is not up to the job, though I am still not sure.

I also dont use the scramble mode - just fixed boost. I have thought about using the mapped boost function, which means that I can use the four channels for diff rpm or speed, but my rpm output is doing some really funny things! (sometimes jumps to 9999rpm for no apparent reason - still working on this little beauty!!!! LOL)

The spikes on the gear change are allowed for in the map - so spike to 32 then hold of 28 is okay.

From the sound of it, you are using the target boost mode, ie you set it to 1.2bar etc? On mine, I use the other mode, where you set it by way of a number between 0 and 100 (100 being full open, and 0 being full closed). I find that I have issues with the speed of the spool up in auto mode, though I may revisit.

Useful stuff on the gain though, that is interesting. TB Honest, I find that the Scoobies make better use of the boost than cossies (i guess improved volumetric eff?) - yours with 1.3 bar must be pretty impressive!

Out of curiosity, what happens with yours if the gain was set to say 10 - is it less or more responsive than when set to 20.....

Thanks again for all your input - very interesting!

JJ