STi v 6 RA limited into european MY98

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2007, 06:44 PM
Erik
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STi v 6 RA limited into european MY98

Hi all,

I have booth cars LHD Turbo MY98 and RHD STi RA 6 Limited on the way from Japan.
Mission is make from two cars one LHD in MY98 bodywork.
I have no clear idea how to realise my dream.
Mechanical swap is work for 2-3 days this is no problem but electrical wirng id different from eu version. I wil try use maximum from RA but I dont have wiring diag. for RA and for my MY98 so any help, pdf, pics are wellcome.
So my frist questions are:
Can I use 2 airbags if RA have only one ( is ecu connected with airbag unit)?
Are all comfort systems like all lights standlaone systems and I can let it be untouched?
Can I directly swap aircon controll panel from RA + heating system
Does have RA coded keys nad ECU or ther is no protection if yes can I swap those parts + change locks on doors and i shoul work?
I have cca 6 weeks before car arrive and nightmare begins Iam going to be first in my country with this project.

Thanks in advace for your hepl
Old 12 January 2007, 01:24 PM
KenS55STI
Scooby Regular

I don't think the keys will be coded or anything like that, and would think the second airbag wouldn't really matter either, you could either take it out and fit the locker thing the RA has or leave it in and just not working. I was led to believe that the cars with one airbag have a plug in module in the wiring loom that is used to put the light out on the dash or a change in the ecu.

You will have to fit the RA wiring loom and extend the wires so it fits in the LHD shell. The ecus on these cars will be different and your 98 wiring won't plug in to your RA ecu. The clocks are different because they have the DCCD position and there will be wiring for that not found on your 98 model. There is also another ecu and loom for the dccd you will need to fit, along with the controller switch inside the car.

The indicator and wiper switchgear is on the opposite side of the steering column (ie right hand switch is indicators) on a jdm car and I don't know if you will be able to retain your EU switches or if the wiring won't connect. This also has the switch for the rear wash wipe that you don't have on an EU model. To fit that you would also need to change the rear windscreen, the washer bottle under the bonnet for the 2 pump version and run the pipework. The there is the intercooler water spray bottle, pump, wiring, switches and pipework. Then there are folding mirrors, no headlight washers so there will be no wiring for them, no foglight wiring, the list goes on.

The RA probably won't have ABS either so you may have to change some other stuff if your car does.

To change everything from a lhd to rhd on equivalent models or to change everything from one lhd model to another is a massive task, but to change everything from a rhd car to a lhd car that are very different and different model years where there were big changes is something else !! I wish you luck.

I think I would start by stripping your lhd car down to the shell then transferring parts from the RA straight to it. Transfer everything from one to the other. It will be quicker, more complete and better to do that than start swapping things here and there only to find one thing doesn't match and then having to swap something else.

Alternatively, it seems a shame to break up a limited edition car, probably one of the best classic impreza models you can get, can't you just use it as is ?
Old 12 January 2007, 04:28 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

I put an STI version 5 engine into a UK car without any problems whatsoever.

Obviously the car needed to be remapped but there were no massive issues with wiring looms and the like.

Basically I dropped it straight in and turned the key. It fired up first time.

Didnt think the RA's had DCCD thought that was only the 2 door type R's??

Hope that helps

Daz

Last edited by dazdavies; 12 January 2007 at 04:31 PM.
Old 13 January 2007, 01:15 PM
Erik
Scooby Regular

No I cant, hre in Slovakia is nothing like SVA if car have no certificate of conformity its illegal. JDM vehcles with RHD cant be converted into LHD and road legal. Same with car imports from UK. You just can drive RHD car one year long after this you have go back to UK or go outside EU add back with stamp in your passport. I have only cca 300mls to Ukraina but Iam not shure if I should come back with car too

Probably this car have sport ABS on pictures are only WS tank so Iam little bit nervouses untill it arrive.
My friend says its no problem use phase I car wiring, Iam not shure ... couse phase II have OBDII and have no pinouts od MY98EU and STi6 ECU.
Where is placed STi ECU on passenger side on driver side? If on pasenger I have a lot of soldering to do...
Old 13 January 2007, 01:53 PM
Erik
Scooby Regular

Few pics: Untitled Page

Another questions:
timing belt - is STi another due higher revs?
clutch - can you tell me diameter or witch is best for traffic and fast roads ouside city?
Thanks