Notices

sti brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2007, 01:07 AM
judd555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sti brakes

hi, lam not able to use my 04 sti much lately, and to me l feel the brakes have gone down hill, there seems to be a slight lip on the outside of the discs, it only done 22000 miles,can l do anything? also when l wash the car l always give it a run afterwards, but sometimes l can brake and nothing happens, the brake pressure feels the same(told local scooby dealer and l felt they diddnt believe me) it can be bloody dangerous
Old 10 January 2007, 10:10 AM
JohnS

I wouldn't worry much about a slight lip on the discs, there is some wear left in them after 22k miles, unless you are on your 3rd of 4th set of brake pads!

After washing the car, you do get surface rust, and moisture on the discs/pads, which can take a couple of presses, or a few hundred yards to clear, especially in cold/wet conditions like we get now. The brakes will work, but there just won't be the same level of "bite" until everything is cleaned up again. If you expect it, then it won't take you by surprise. I often left foot brake for a 100m or so a few times afetr washing the car to make sure all the brakes surfaces are clean and dry.

John
Old 10 January 2007, 11:21 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

If brakes are soaking wet and cold they can't/won't work. I'm always very careful after washing the car as it never stops the first time. Partly due to discs all round so everything gets wet. If you had an old banger with drums on the back you might not notice.

I only wash my wheels with fresh water, if you get wash and wax type car shampoo it'll leave some wax on your discs. I found my brakes were always a bit inconsistent for a few days after washing until I discovered this.
Old 12 January 2007, 01:00 AM
judd555
Scooby Regular

l will try that, thanks