Speedo related problem

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2007, 05:22 PM
jamesbWRXRA
Scooby Regular

Location: Still loving the Subaru but now in an Evo 8 MR FQ320
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo related problem

My speedo stopped working yesterday but the car was still running fine . I took the car out today and as i pulled out of a junction and get to 4000 rpm the car just shudders and cuts the power. Now the car won't go over 4000rpm without shuddering . I have read that if the speedo cable has come loose then the ecu will go into safe mode and limit power. Anyone know where the speedo cable is as i have no idea and as its now dark outside i have no chance of finding it.

Anyone had similar problems . The car is a 94 WRX RA.

Thanks
James
Old 07 January 2007, 07:59 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

yep, perfectly normal for the car to stop you 'playing' once it loses its speed signal..........should have CEL light on dash also

the cable runs from the O/S/F of the gearbox, just back from the turbo/downpipe area, up thro' the bulkhead and into the back of the clox

alyn
Old 07 January 2007, 08:33 PM
don81
Scooby Regular

Hi
I had this problem with mine a few weeks ago. I changed my dash lights and pulled on it to hard and disconnected the speedo cable from the gear box. Tis easy enough to get to even in the dark. As long as you have a tourch.
If it is this that has come diconnected.
If you look down behind the turbo you will prob see a black cable just hanging there. if you look a bit lower you will see another cable with a little square box thing attached to it. Mine was an orange colour but they may not all be like that. So all you have to do is pull on the cable that is just hanging there and push fit it in to the square box thingy.
That should be it
Old 07 January 2007, 08:48 PM
jamesbWRXRA
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys . CEL light is on on dashboard . I will check in the morning.Hopefully it is just the cable that has come loose taht has caused the problem.

Thanks
James
Old 07 January 2007, 09:12 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Hello there, I've just had the exact same problem. When I was change my clocks to white dials I'd accidently broke the inside of the speedo convertor on the back of my clocks. It took me a while to figure it out, I had the clocks out, new speedo cable fitted, changed the speedo clock itself and then I the last thing I changed was the speedo convertor. Isn't it always the last thing you check thats the real problem.

So yeah, I echo what the guys above said, the shuddering is perfectly normal if the clocks aren't receiving a signal. It's a safe mode.

The problem will be either the cable is snapped somewhere, either at the ends or within the cable shelth, the actual speedo clock may be broken or if you have a mph convertor that may be broken. All easy fix's some more pricey than others. I can't think of any thing else that may cause the clocks not to work.

Good luck.
Old 13 January 2007, 03:49 PM
jamesbWRXRA
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys
I can't even locate the speedo cable anyone have any other advice or perhaps a pic showing where this cable runs.

Thanks
James

As for the could be the speed convertor, Could be the cable has snapped inside its sheathing. I am hoping its simple and the cable has just come unplugged. I already have a boost problem which could be the boost solenoid, Could be the induction kit, Could be the maf sensor , Could be my coil packs , Could be my spark plugs are gapped wrong. The joys of running a Subaru definately a love / Hate relationship.

James