Notices

Noises/vibration/squealing from front N/S wheel/suspension area.

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2007, 10:13 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noises/vibration/squealing from front N/S wheel/suspension area.

I'm wondering what is causing the combination of noises/vibration/scraping and what sounds like fan belt squealing most noticeable when starting up car from cold or restarting - seems to be brake/brake block/suspension related and with sounds coming from front offside wheel/wheelarch area, especially when turning wheel at very low speeds and especially reversing backwards whilst turning - the vibration comes through the steering wheel - plus occasional noticeable knocking sound from wheelarch area that side when going over indented or badly cambered surfaces and sunken manholes, all of which I try to steer round as much as possible or at least drive over with the wheels straight over.

Not sure what is the root of this but whatever needs doing, I will get also get a full geometry and 4WD reset done as well because I'm also sure the car is not feeling as sorted as it could be out on the open road - but to be fair it's been like that for a long time and it may not be caused by the above specific problem which has only developed over the last fortnight. The car feels somewhat vague with some floating sensation which does not exactly inspire confidence. Its a fully standard MY01 Bugeye WRX and I want to keep it that way - but I'm sure the right geometry set-up adjustment would unlock the best optimum potential bearing in mind I want the ideal mix of everyday comfort around town or on motorway but good taut handling potential on open A/B roads.

My gut feeling is it's more a steering/suspension component issue - or could it be brakes/ABS related? So I'm looking for some opinions/info. before I contact Bulldog Subaru dealer but maybe it's time to go on down to Len at Subaru4You at Newbury - I don't want any run around from mis-diagnosis and getting work done that is not necessary.
Old 18 January 2007, 07:19 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem solved

Problem was a badly worn auxiliary drive belt - which apparently is linked to and affects smooth function of steering motor. Belt replaced at little cost and all now sorted and car feels so much better. Funny how such a simple thing can create such a feeling that something major and very expensive was going wrong.