Notices

Oil catch tank

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2006, 08:57 PM
TI7OJO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil catch tank

Been recomended an oil catch tank as my next mod. The thing is how come there is such a big difference in price between the roger clarke one and other equivelants (sp) such as a cusco one. The roger clarke one costs about £200 with a fitting kit and a cusco one only costs about £60 but i think this one is universal so i would have make my own brackets. Also where abouts do you plumb it into and do you need to blank things off. Thanks in advance.
Old 29 December 2006, 09:01 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

sorry to hi-jack a bit mike but what exactly is a catch can?
Old 29 December 2006, 09:11 PM
TI7OJO
Scooby Regular

Here you go ste.

Roger Clark Motorsport
Old 30 December 2006, 12:31 AM
swifty.....!
Scooby Regular

got one on mine got the cheap one thinks more down to one is ready to fit with instructions and the other you have to work out and mess about with the fitting.

this is mine put some other pics i.e for fitting below

the 2 blocked off pipes below are the 2 breather pipes from the air intake you need to block these only

then you want to engine breather pipes to the catch can there's 3 the one below is the drivers side breather from above the rocker marked red goes straight to the catch can

the other one from passanger side rocker is just to the side and below the intercooler or if you have oe metal pipe on your intercooler the single end goes to this mine is the pipe marked green. the last breather is the one marked red below which is the black pipe going down to the top of the block

so in this pic you can see i've run the passenger rocker breather pipe and engine block breather to the same reciever on the catch can just Y pieced them to one pipe marked in red. then the other is the drivers side rocker breather pipe marked green

hope this helps but you can place the catch can anywhere and also can have 3 inlets to the catch can which would make piping easier

ste
Old 30 December 2006, 01:40 PM
TI7OJO
Scooby Regular

Nice one for that. Is there another pipe that comes off the tank that acts as an overflow? Also how come you no longer have the metal pipes on your intercooler? It looks like a nice installation you have there as well by the way.
Old 30 December 2006, 01:49 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TI7OJO
Been recomended an oil catch tank as my next mod. The thing is how come there is such a big difference in price between the roger clarke one and other equivelants (sp) such as a cusco one. The roger clarke one costs about £200 with a fitting kit and a cusco one only costs about £60 but i think this one is universal so i would have make my own brackets. Also where abouts do you plumb it into and do you need to blank things off. Thanks in advance.
sadly everything rcm sell seems to cost the earth but it is always perfect, the big advantage to the RCM version is it is designed for a subaru ie it has three ports unlike an others i have seen

in all honesty you could build a catch tank out of an empty bottle and it would do the same job, £200 is expensive for a box
Old 30 December 2006, 01:53 PM
TI7OJO
Scooby Regular

Another thing is how come the RCM one has such a large capacity at 2.6 litres where as the one pictured looks like it will only hold about 0.5 litres?

Trending Topics

Old 30 December 2006, 02:59 PM
swifty.....!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TI7OJO
Nice one for that. Is there another pipe that comes off the tank that acts as an overflow? Also how come you no longer have the metal pipes on your intercooler? It looks like a nice installation you have there as well by the way.
hi on the catch can it has oil level tube so you know when to empty it and there's a plug on the bottom to do this. i have a turbosmart dump valve so you remove the metal pipes off the intercooler and replace with a sinlge pipe as other wise the dump valve would not fit.

and i think rodger clark make there's with motorsport in mind where as my car is just for the road and the catch can is still virtually empty so i'd say capacity wise depends what you use your car for so not alot of track days a small capacity is fine and easier to place.

ste
Old 03 April 2007, 12:19 PM
highlandwrx
Scooby Regular

hi there, my catch tank has two inlet pipes at the top and one at the bottom, is this a drain or the vent to atmosphere outlet??

also do you need to have a small filter on it?

thanks
Old 03 April 2007, 01:39 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RCM is hideously expensive, but as someone pointed out above, it DOES do its job perfectly. I attempted my own one in the space where the RCM one fits and it is very tricky for clearance, it was hard enough just getting a cuboid shaped one in there once you think about a drain, sight, inlet and outlet ports, fitting to the space etc.

After a lot of messing about with various designs, I now just use an aluminium cyclists bottle which cost me a fiver off ebay. Screwed a 1/2" BSP tail in the top, drilled and tapped another 1/2" BSP thread into the side and then screwed and araldited in another tail. Stuffed it full of coarse fish tank foam and Bob's your uncle. It even comes with its own plastic mounting bracket LOL

If you're making your own, my advice is never use plastic for the box, site it somewhere relatively cold and use 1/2" reinforced hosepipe for the plumbing. Without an extra filtering medium you may well get a lot of 'blow through' of vapours - the foam catches this and keeps the exit pipe clean as a whistle. I could have used proper FIA spec fuel tank foam but fish tank foam seems to hold up to oil vapours very well, no perishing or melting or anything after several months.