Notices

HELP - PROBLEMS WITH FITTING MY MANUAL BOOST CONTROLLER

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2006, 10:19 AM
jonny_WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP - PROBLEMS WITH FITTING MY MANUAL BOOST CONTROLLER

Hi, i have a 1995 WRX JDM and have fit the boost controller (just before the actuator as i did before when i turboed my saxo).

the problem is it is not working and the turbo is spooling up and up until the fuel cut off comes in. this happens regardless of the adjuster been all the way in or out, it is like it is not letting any pressure to the actuator so it is not opeing the wastegate. it is installed correctly following the instructions and my past experiance of installing them.

is this problem A) the boost controller is faulty or B) does it need installing elsewhere

i have teed it in between the silver solonid looking thing that is bolted to the left hand side of the car (near the air filter) and the actuator is this correct or does it need to go before this solonid?
Old 29 December 2006, 12:27 PM
wez wrx
Scooby Regular

you bypass the solonid, it goes between the turbo and the actuator. make sure the valve is in the direction of flow, turbo to actuator! would also recomend a det sensor and maybe a a/f gauge. is the car mapped for uk fuel? or are you using booster? just upping the boost can cause det, more so on a jdm as its mapped for 100+ron! wouldnt do it without monitoring it if i was you!
Old 29 December 2006, 01:35 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you e-mail me per profile I will send you a diagram.
Old 29 December 2006, 02:40 PM
jonny_WRX
Scooby Regular

cheers mate, could you email the diagram to stockit_com@hotmail.com
Old 29 December 2006, 02:41 PM
jonny_WRX
Scooby Regular

forgot to mention i run it on 99 RON and i have a AFR and a boost guage fitted and am going to fit a knock link.

regards
Old 30 December 2006, 03:37 PM
jonny_WRX
Scooby Regular

I bypassed the silver solanoid type thing and now the boost controller is directly between the actuator and boost source on the turbo (inlet/throttle side). it is installed in the right direction as per the instructins BUT IT STILL DOES NOT WORK

HELP, even with the adjuster screwed all the way out so it should not be running any more than the standard boost it still has the same issue.

the turbo keeps on spooling and spooling until fuel cut off!!!!

i have opened the boost controller and there is a spring sat ontop of a ball bearing and thats all that is inside. should it be like this inside? any suggestions?
Old 30 December 2006, 04:47 PM
Scooby Senior

It should be all the way in for normal boost, and undo for more boost. make sure 1 end is on the compressor housing, and the other on the actuator.

try one lengh of pipe from the housing to the actuator and see if you have the Act' set at 7psi. some I have found are adjustable. if ok, add in the bleed valve and try again.

Trending Topics

Old 30 December 2006, 06:35 PM
jonny_WRX
Scooby Regular

cheers, i will try that tomorrow. if the actuator is adjustable and not set to 7PSI where is the adjuster and what does it look like (is it anti clock wise for less boost)?

cheers
Old 30 December 2006, 06:58 PM
codfather
Scooby Regular

hi mate, just wondering what type of boost controller have you got..for example is it a dawes device type or a bleed valve type. sounds like a dawes device with the ball and spring, if so you might have it fitted the wrong way round perhaps.
plus i dont think the actuator is adjustable....
Regards
Old 30 December 2006, 08:19 PM
jonny_WRX
Scooby Regular

it is a powertek one but same principle as the dawes, i have checked and checked and it is definately on the right way.

from my understanding the ball and spring seal the hole at the boost side and when enough pressure is applied the ball is lifted against the pushing of the spring, the more you screw in the adjuster the more wound the spring and the more pressure is required to lift it (increasing HP). i definatley have the connector with the baring/spring/seal at the turbo side and the other connector that just lets the pressure through at the actuator side. it just seems as if the boost controller is not letting any pressure through hence the turbo is spooling and spooling. the odd thing is when i take the boost controller off i am able to blow through it (on the lowest setting) so it is not blocked. i have one of these on my turbo saxo and i installed it, adjusted it to 12PSI and away i went in about 15 mins so i just dont understand the problem
Old 30 December 2006, 11:50 PM
Scooby Senior

the turbo will move the actuator to bleed off the boost via the wastegate

when you open the valve, it bleeds off this pressure, causing you to run more boost as it takes more boost creation to move the actuator as some of it is being bled off
Old 31 December 2006, 01:34 PM
jonny_WRX
Scooby Regular

WOOO HOOOO it works, i took out the ball and spring sqirted a bit of WD40 in the boost controller i then compressed the sping in and out in between my fingers to see if the spring needed loosening up. put it all back together and put it on the minimum setting and the turbo boosted to 7PSI, i then adh=justed it and am now running 14PSI no problem