Notices

Cosworth Turbo's on Subaru's

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2006, 12:53 AM
Matt_Davies
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cosworth Turbo's on Subaru's

I've heard Turbo Technics are releasing an adapter that will allow any Ford/Cosworth Turbo to be fitted to Subaru's

I believe they're hoping to announce/launch at Autosport and one of the first bits of kit released will be an adapter and RS500 Turbo for circa £600.

Any thoughts/opinions on this? Is it a good idea? Is there a market for it?

Discuss...................................

Matt.
Old 27 December 2006, 10:30 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We are really looking forward to this....It was us badgering them that got their asses in to gear to produce the T38 Evo hybrid used on our road car...
They will also be doing ballbearing versions of most of the turbo's in the Ford range to give the customer extra choice...The real difference will be the cost , it is as you say likely to be far cheaper than the other T3/T4 conversions currently in circulation...
Old 27 December 2006, 05:03 PM
Matt_Davies
Scooby Regular

Hiya Martyn,

Sorry who is "us" and "we" ? You have a business/garage? Apoligies if i should know I never frequent the TECHNICAL part of this forum on the basis that my total tech knowledge = ZERO so i dont really have anything to add

I ve just been sniffing round the net and theres loads of different T3/T4 Turbos available.......... All new and all VERY cheap. Much cheaper than any of the TD or VF turbos around.

Do you have any info on any of the T3/T4 turbos. Power capabilites, boost pressures that kind of thing.

Basically my TD04 has died and im looking to replace and upgrade and TT have told me about the RS500 conv.I havent discussed options with them yet - just that they were releasing the above. Im looking for circa 330 BHP. Any ideas what FORD turbo i should look at. Cars MY2000. Full decat, STI8 I/C, uprated fuel pump, FPR, Green panel filter, TEK ECU.

Did i mention they're about half the price of any subaru turbo

Thankyou,

Matt
Old 27 December 2006, 08:24 PM
Matt_Davies
Scooby Regular

PM'd you back Martyn

Cheers matey
Old 27 December 2006, 10:28 PM
Lateral Performance
Former Sponsor

To be honest, I don't know the old Garrett T series turbo's, but turbos have come on a LONG way in the 20 years since the RS500 was launched.

I think it's commonly accepted that if you have two turbos of comparable size, one sleeve, and the other ball bearing, the ball bearing turbo will spool up quicker, and have better response.

On top of that, compressor wheel design has moved on tremendously, not only spooling up more quickly, but flowing more air for the same size.

The old style T series are cheap because they're 20 year old technology, and a dying market.

Probably a reasonable compromise between performance, and cost though.

Mark.
Old 28 December 2006, 10:21 PM
Matt_Davies
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the input Mark.

As Martyn said they threatening to do ball bearing versions... I dont know if this £600 RS500 turbo is one of them. Prob not tho

I also went sniffing round the evo forum and seems to be a few of them on there that run the "T" series turbos!!!!

Anyone else know anything about them . . . have an opinion. Im going to autosport weekend after next so ill be quite keen to see what they have to say about it.

Matt