wrx 2003 remap?

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2006, 06:39 PM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrx 2003 remap?

hi guys

thinking of getting a 2003 wrx standard at the moment was wondering what it costs roughly for a stage 1 remap with nothing apart from a green panel filter else done at the moment due to lack of dosh what sort of power gain would i expect to get..thanks

PS i did search but struggling to find an answer, all seem to be STI's etc

mr fastbaz
Old 22 December 2006, 07:24 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

I'd do panel filter, remove the exhaust centre cat and add a better back box (doesnt have to be a loud jap style - Prodrive/scoobysport or just an STi box) as a minimum for first remap. The centre cat is quite restrictive as is the standard back box and you'll be able to pick up replacements off here for not much more than 100 for the back box and 40quid or so for cat pipe replacement.

A full decat system will give you the best results from a remap. Up-pipe around 60 second hand, downpipe probably about the same. Id also recommend fitting a walbro 255 fuel pump as a safety measure (80 quid new) as the standard uk wrx pump isn't regarded as reliable as it could be for higher power after mapping.

First remap will include the cost of Ecutek license so is more expensive at around 600 or so. Do a search on here for recommended mappers in your area. As for power gains, dunno mine was road mapped, but in region of 250 I should imagine. Noticable and the improvement in general driveability is excellent. More torque lower down and big improvement in mid range pull.

Last edited by funkyspider; 22 December 2006 at 07:28 PM.
Old 22 December 2006, 11:14 PM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

great thanks for the info but what do you mena including cost of a ecutek licence.... confused ....
Old 22 December 2006, 11:34 PM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An Ecutek license is bound to your ECU when you have the first remap. This is a one off fee, and subsequent remaps would be at the mappers rate.

Things you should know:

License locks the ECU so that only EcuTek mapping can be performed, this means that mappers using OpenECU, or even Subaru cannot access the ECU. Nowadays this is not an issue as an EcuTek dealer can return the ECU to a stock state, BUT as most will confess, they fail to point this information out to you at the time.

The EcuTek map that is written to the ECU will not be viewable to other EcuTek dealers. So if you go somewhere else you will have to pay the mappers full fee (albeit without license cost) for them to establish a base map.

HTH..

Mark
Old 23 December 2006, 09:00 AM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

thanks marky completely different from having my seat remapped no licences fee nothing, any remap company can look at, access and download a custom map for their fee usually around £400 ish no probs.... and they can overwrite someone elses remap or return to normal.... starnge how it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Old 23 December 2006, 09:27 AM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

No problems. EcuTek have always had the license scenario, it is only in the last year they have locked down the ECU. Apparantly a request from EcuTek dealers to keep their maps from being distributed, but generally regarded as the threat from the OpenECU community.

In the states, Cobb, AP & EcuTek seem to work in harmony, with OpenECU giving a two finger salute....free for all...being their goal.

Over here it is frowned upon having anything other than an EcuTek. But you have to acknowledge it is the experience of the mapper that counts, not what software is used.

From what I have learnt the only difference between the two is the ability to real time tune. OpenECU has to log data, teak the map, flash, log data and repeat. It will not be long before real time tuning is available.

Audi's used to have a similar problem with Revo in that they would put a 'demo' map on, and then after the time restrictions the map 'allegedly' retarded into a state of tune worse than at stock. It was also reported that, other tuners could not get rid of the Revo code from the ECU. I think that one may have been solved now....

Last edited by Marky9074; 23 December 2006 at 09:31 AM.
Old 23 December 2006, 09:33 AM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Ecutek is basically a complete reflash of the ecu so you are paying for their 'code' I spose. bet you cant do this Map Switching with the seat
Old 23 December 2006, 09:39 AM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

No, I think you will find it applies a 'patch' to the existing ROM file....
Old 23 December 2006, 09:42 AM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

With either the COB or AccessPoint (cannot remember which one) once pairing the controller you can have multiple maps, say ten plus......not just two, one boost limited...
Old 23 December 2006, 04:13 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Andy F remapped mine in July :-

273bhp on an 01 WRX

- decat centre pipe only - £150
-Ecutek3 remap - £580

Dramatic improvment !

Although actually I think the most worthwhile thing I've done with my car is to upgrade the suspension - it was too soft as std ! Prodrive springs inc geometry, by dealer £450, Whiteline Anti rollbar and droplinks, £130.

Andy Mc
Old 10 January 2007, 01:37 AM
Stan dan Deliver
Scooby Newbie

May be a bit late but try Steve at Cotton Competition for Ecutek mapping.
Ecutek's RRP is £500 + VAT for first mapping session, then at mapper's discretion for any further tweaks.
Based near Preston in Lancashire still a trek but he does a cracking job.
Definately worth having the map switch option to have the option to revert to standard map.
Cotcomp Home