Notices

Various problems with my classic shape- really need help!

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2006, 05:49 PM
temp
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Various problems with my classic shape- really need help!

I think maybe my 1999 Turbo 2000 is getting to the stage in its life where i may have to change a few bits. I have some problems at the mo that are a bit strange-
Firstly and most annoying- Standard Factory fitted imobilliser/alarm. Since i've had the car (year and a half) i had this proble come up for occasionally. When i have driven the car, parked it up and come back to it, the alarm/imobilliser will not disarm. I press and press the key fob and it just dont wana no. To start with, after around 10 mins of pressing it would eventually work. However the problem has become worse and worse and has been happening more and more often. To the extent that twice i have gone somewhere and the car would not de-imobillise and i've had to get it towed home! I'm now to scared to use the car incase i get stuck anywhere. Took it to the local Scooby garage who charged me £100 for the privilige of kicking the tyres for two days and it came back no better! Anyone else had this?

Secondly- Tickover. When the car is warmed up the tickover sits at around the right revs and then it just drops, almost cuts out, then picks up again and then drops back down again- its all over the place. If you stop suddenly like at a junction, it does just cut out?

Thirdly- Slightly worrying- Started at rattling noise which came in about 5 1/2 rpm. Someone told me a dump valve would sort it- put one on and it didnt. Now the noise happens at lower revs and all the way through the turbo band. Its not very loud and solds like a manifold rattle sort of sound. Seems to be turbo related tho because it doesnt do it when i'm below the turbo band.

Any ideas at all?

Thanks
Old 20 December 2006, 06:16 PM
timchump
Scooby Regular

I have a my99.....

The alarm has a pannel in the glove box, you should have a code to input? therefore if you can't de arm using the fob, just type in your code there.

I bought an extra fob, at a non scooby garage they had some sort of machine that allowed them to reprogramme?...

I also had your second problem to, which was a broken maf sensor, my idle use to be always on the verge of cutting out.
replace it now!!!! if i was you,
as i had to have an engine rebuild because of it (£2500)
Old 20 December 2006, 06:33 PM
Scooby Senior

1, As above, it sounds like the batteries are going in the fob, Either that or the receiver board is going down in the alarm, but much more likely to be the former.

2. Could either be the Maf or the dump valve could be the cause of the problem.

3, Could be the heatsheilds on the manifold rattling. try and give them a wiggle when the car is cold, or get someone to give it a blip whilst you look under it.

See if there is a local club that you could attend the meet, maybe someone there could point you in the right direction as it's hard to diagnose a problem without actually seeing the car

Adam
Old 20 December 2006, 06:46 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the world of bulletproof Subarus. At least for your MY99 the MAFs are cheap (£70) in comparison to the nigh on £300 for a MY98 MAF. At that price it's worth just replacing just in case.
Old 22 December 2006, 06:30 PM
nath33
Scooby Newbie

i had same problem onmy car poor idle so changed maf this did not help so changed lambda this did not help so cleaned idle valve still no good well cheesed off and a friend said take your blitz super dooper bov off and hey presto scoobs dint like bov hope this helps and for rattling i heard from some guys that the heat sheild on something rattles alot have alook round mate