Notices

Ticking/Clicking from drivers side of car

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2006, 09:07 PM
redscooby2003
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ticking/Clicking from drivers side of car

Hi, I have a MY98 UK Turbo. Is is standard apart from Pipercross Vortex Induction kit and Scoobyworld Ninja Back Box and Centre Section. The problem I have is that sometimes it idles at around 1000 rpm and if you listern to the engine, you can here a clicking coming from the valves that are fitted on the drivers side suspension top. I think it is the waste gate solenoid/boost controller? Also when you drive it hard it seems to have a slight judder like its not holding its boost. I think the two are linked, because usually when this happens I have the problems at idle. What is it and how do I fix it?
Old 13 December 2006, 10:46 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

boost solenoid is the clicking. May need a clean. Have a quick search and you'll find plenty of threads dotted about conerning favoured cleaning methods.
Old 13 December 2006, 11:53 PM
Kjartan
Scooby Regular

I have a pipercross kit in my car too.. it was making those really annoying clicks , always thought it was the cover over the turbo.. but it turned out to be the pipercross kit, how its fastened to the body of the car it doesnt allow for the movement of the engine so I loosened the bracket that the filter is held by so now it can move a little and havent heard any clicking since.. but it doesn't explain the boost problems
Old 14 December 2006, 05:50 PM
MarkFitz
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate,

just a word of warning regarding lossening the ind. kit, - be careful that the MAF housing is secure otherwise you could cause the sensor to fail. Might be a plan to secure the kit using a rubber mount between the bracket and body, this should damp out the rattles you could be hearing while allowing some compliance between the kit and body.
Old 14 December 2006, 07:05 PM
Russellg911
Scooby Regular

On my LCR there was a rapid clickety click which was the solenoid for the EGR valve...the good news was this was NORMAL behaviour, as it was supposed to make that sound. Obviously this 'may' not be the case with your situation but I hope the info helps.

Russ