Notices

ESL OR SCOOBYECU CHIP , WHICH ONE BEST?

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2006, 10:48 PM
SNAP-ON
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESL OR SCOOBYECU CHIP , WHICH ONE BEST?

Which chip is better the esl one or the scoobyecu one as they are both about the same price ? my v7 early uk ecu is already chipped but only with a small one in the spare slot . runs more power then a z4 especially midrange but peaks about 12-13 psi at best . i want a bit more and esl / scoobyecu peak about 15psi . didnt realise mine was chipped until i fitted a z4 for more power and had less power ! i got the car in standard form appart from being chipped and having a td05 as standard but have now done exhaust /induction kit etc so map cant be right for the mods i have now done ? what do reckon ?
Old 15 December 2006, 10:16 PM
vessy
Scooby Regular

Comparison on MY95 UK turbo, de-cat and green filter, both off the shelf maps.

Esl 1.1 Bar = 270 BHP
ScoobyECU 1.05 Bar = 285 BHP

Both are a good upgrade and off the shelf will run fine with de-cat and intake mod, your existing chip may well be fine but i would investigate what chip/map it is.
Old 16 December 2006, 06:12 PM
DCR59
Scooby Regular

The ScoobuECU was the original and I think the ESL is a copy using 2 chips to make up the original 1 because the original single Fujitsu chip is difficult to get now.

But they way I look at these things, is always get an original rather than a copy.

I've got a Scott Taylor ECU, and delighted with it. Not had it on the rollers yet, but with my other mods, shouldn't be too far off the 300 mark. Scott still sells these from time to time, so keep a look out for one.
Having said that he'll see this post himself, and may reply

Last edited by DCR59; 16 December 2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old 16 December 2006, 07:07 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couldn't possibley comment. I've had communications with Andy @ ESL and he seems like a top bloke, so I won't say anything against his alternative product.

Both my single chip solution using the hard to get hold of Fujitsu chip and Andy's ESL adaptor perform the same function as far as the ECU is concerned.

The maps will be one persons idea of what works vs another and would hope that Andy's isn't just a copy.
Just with mine I don't have to build the adaptor board and only have to program one chip rather then splitting the data accross 2.
Old 16 December 2006, 10:09 PM
ESL
Scooby Regular

Nice result Scott, thats pretty good for an OTS map, though I know we've both had higher.

I don't remember selling you a board vessy, but I suspect thats one of our very first maps which were quite conservative, had a 6K fuel map (could go as low as AFR 10:1) and less ignition advance. As we've mapped more cars the AFRs have come back to 11:1 and the ignition has a few more degrees timing so the later maps make more power. If you want a later chipset give me a shout.

As Scott has said, The ESL board is not a copy of anything, as I designed it! Scott has a supply of original 27C1028s, but they perform the same function, i.e. allow the numbers in the original ECU to be changed, to good effect in the majority of cases.

Cheers
Andy
Old 16 December 2006, 11:47 PM
vessy
Scooby Regular

You didn't Andy, I aquired the unit second hand, original owner changed to Apexi PFC.

My map could well be an older version, for the record I was only posting results to answer the comparison, I ran your map for a few months and was extremely happy with the result.

As Scott said the single chip or the adapter perform the same job, they just store a hex file that the ECU reads, not a copy, just a different way of doing things, proof is that i'm presently running a ScoobyECU map on Andy's adapter board.

Andy, I would love a copy of the newer base map, not worried about the chip set, just the file. Are existing clients (ESL Board and 1.1 map holders) entitled to the new base map as it has improved without paying the £50??