AFR and SAFC

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2006, 03:49 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFR and SAFC

Hi,

I know this is the least preferrable option for tuning, i would love to have more cash but dont lol.

Basically i am going to increase the boost on my uk98, i know i can only take it to 1.25 bar before i hit fuel cut.

Now, currently boost settles at 1.0/1.1 bar and i get no detonation according to detalarm and my AFR is midway into rich on the gauge. So, if i start winding up the boost and i start seeing signs of knock (amber lights on detalarm i think), can i use the SAFC to increase the fuelling at those rpms to reduce the knock?

So in a nutshell, can you avoid det by increasing the fuelling?? Or does timing need to be adjusted too? How far could i push it using dawes and SAFC (maybe need an FCD) ?

I know you are all going to say forget it and buy a powerfc but that is really over budget at the moment.... so please humour me

Thanks
Nicky

Last edited by nickyrhodes; 29 November 2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 30 November 2006, 09:07 AM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 30 November 2006, 10:34 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

A power fc is cheaper than a new engine. Just leave as is until you have the funds, do it right, do it once.

You wont gain much by running .1 of a bar more in fact your car will probably be slower as during the cold spell that we will be getting shortly, you will probably find that you are overboosting. (not a pleasant experience)
Old 30 November 2006, 11:10 AM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

i think for the time being i'll stick with the dawes at same boost as i am now but will hopefully get a better midrange from the boost coming in earlier than the electronic one....

i can prob save up the cash its more the fact that i cant get my head around (and the wifes head) around spending 7-800 quid on making the car faster lol. I would have more success buying a new scoob lol... (which i also cant really afford!! shame seen as theres 3k free fuel in there )

Last edited by nickyrhodes; 30 November 2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old 30 November 2006, 12:44 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

tell your missus that its for saving fuel, thats what I told mine. Funny thing is I did actually save moeny on fuel, get on average around about 40 miles extra per tank now than when I was on a standard ecu.
Old 30 November 2006, 01:47 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
tell your missus that its for saving fuel, thats what I told mine. Funny thing is I did actually save moeny on fuel, get on average around about 40 miles extra per tank now than when I was on a standard ecu.
Yeah i had thought that lol, but i worked this out on my average milage and it would take over two years to pay itself off lol!!!

On another note, does the PFC have a closed loop (i think its closed) for when you are not booting it? Or is it in full power map all the time?

Been reading about the SAFC/AVCR combo and it seems that theres a number of people who go with either that type of combo or the power fc. Another bonus would be that the combo can go in my next car and if i had to change then i'd kick myself for spending a bomb on the PFC.

Theres a place near where i sometimes work in Aberdeen (Wallace performance), what about if i took it there with the AVCR/SAFC to have it tuned using wideband properly ??

lol
Old 30 November 2006, 03:55 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

yes the pfc can run closed loop as well. I am not knocking the safc as it is a good bit of kit, but imo I wouldnt install it without it being set up correctly by someone who can monitor the engine etc. The SAFC are popular on many cars, in fact I nearly got one many years ago for a sunny gtir
Old 30 November 2006, 04:33 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Ok, have booked her in for a power run in two weeks so i can see what its pushing and how its running. They said they would do 2 roller runs and check afr etc. If i have my dawes on by then i will get them to tweak up the power to what it can run safely....