Notices

Remap necessary after exhaust fit to JDM STi?

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2006, 02:56 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Remap necessary after exhaust fit to JDM STi?

I am thinking about making a bid on this full 2.75" Milltek exhaust system on eBay:

eBay.co.uk: Milltek Exhaust 4 JDM Subaru impreza twin scroll turbo. (item 270057700817 end time 30-Nov-06 19:40:51 GMT) or TinyURL.com - where tiny is better!

If I fit it to my MY05 JDM STi (which only has a Milltek back box at present), will I *have* to have a remap, or will everything be OK until such a time as I can organise a remap?

I know I won't necessarily get any power gains until a remap, but I'm concerned about engine damage if I don't remap.

There's a knocklink fitted if it helps.
Old 29 November 2006, 03:44 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No you wont need a remap, if you went decat then id say yes, your ecu will just retard back if it detects any det, they are much better than the older scoobs for this (well as long as you still run them on super/octane booster but even with just super it will retard back and if it hates your fuel you will just be limp moded )

Tony
Old 29 November 2006, 03:51 PM
TimH
Orange Club

OK - thanks. Since this system has a high-flow sports decat in the downpipe and no cat in the centre pipe (just a resonator) is it not nearer a decat system than not, then?
Old 29 November 2006, 04:03 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JDM cars only come with the 1 cat, they only have a resonator box in the centre section, and as stated the ecu will just adapt, chances are if your running just v power or 99 ron fuel its already retarded itself back anyway you will need to either get it reset or disconnect the battery for a few hours to reset it, it also learns quickly, after the exhaust is on, take it easy, just up to 4k for a while, then give it a blat, you shouldnt have any problems then unless you get a bad batch of fuel (which will just retard the ecu even more).

Tony
Old 29 November 2006, 04:40 PM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim, you'll definatly need a remap! The Boost control alone will change significantly with the fitting of a Milltek with it's Sports CAT. Know a bit about them

Your car has already been remapped by Powerstation so it'll be relatively cheap to have the map adjusted to suit

Iain
Old 29 November 2006, 08:08 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Thanks Iain!

Advice well received and appreciated.

Who knows, I might be back up to Tewkesbury sooner than planned If I can get this second hand system, I can justify the overall cost including the remap right now, whereas if I have to go for the new system as originally expected, I'll have to wait a while longer.

PS - tell Tim I'm still waiting for the wheels/tyres and paperwork. He'll know what I mean