Notices

maf sensor bug eye x reg

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2006, 11:25 AM
bugeyewrxdriver
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maf sensor bug eye x reg

Hi all before I go and splash out cash on a maf sensor could anybody tell me if these symptoms link it to it? misses when i floor the throttle and when i back off the throttle it goes well, also is quite rough sometimes at idle when first starting off. Have changed plugs air filter fuel filter etc... to eliminate all the cheap things that might cause it to run rough but am still getting problem of it missing in every gear, has got worse over last few weeks.

Thanks in advance
Old 26 November 2006, 12:39 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyewrxdriver
Hi all before I go and splash out cash on a maf sensor could anybody tell me if these symptoms link it to it? misses when i floor the throttle and when i back off the throttle it goes well, also is quite rough sometimes at idle when first starting off. Have changed plugs air filter fuel filter etc... to eliminate all the cheap things that might cause it to run rough but am still getting problem of it missing in every gear, has got worse over last few weeks.

Thanks in advance
I inadvertently disconnected my maf sensor a while ago and took it for a drive. The symptoms were exactly as you have already stated.
I cannot clarify if your maf is goosed though.Hope this helps
Old 26 November 2006, 12:43 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Apparently, an easy way to check for maf problem at idle is to idle car and physically disconnect the maf. If the maf isnt sending a sensible reading to the ecu then the ecu will fall back onto a default idle map. It wont be taking readings from the maf and disconnecting the maf will allow the car to keep idling. If the car stalls then the ecu was taking its readings from maf.

Confirm this before trying as I've only read it in previous posts on here when I was looking for some info myself.

Could also be lambda sensor, coil pack or boost solenoid. Hopefully someone with more practical knowledge will come along and tell you in what order to test these things, but this will give you some points to search for.
Old 26 November 2006, 01:08 PM
bugeyewrxdriver
Scooby Newbie

Default maf

Cheers lads for your help! I'll give that a go... One last question though will it cause any damage to the engine if I am running the car with faulty maf?

Cheers
Old 26 November 2006, 02:56 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

In a word, yes.

Do a search using the 'search this forum' drop-down over on the right in the title. maf is probably one of the most discussed subjects. Having said that the bugeye maf is supposedly far more robust than some of the earlier ones and less likely to failure.

Originally Posted by bugeyewrxdriver
Cheers lads for your help! I'll give that a go... One last question though will it cause any damage to the engine if I am running the car with faulty maf?

Cheers