Notices

Power FC in 97MY UK (Pre ECU Data-Link)

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2006, 02:12 PM
MarkFitz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power FC in 97MY UK (Pre ECU Data-Link)

Can anyone let me know if i can plug-and-play my pfc or do i have to modify the loom connections?

I've got a 97MY UK 'face lift' but without the phase 2 eng and ecu mods, - so late 96MY engine i guess.

Threads on 22B give a description of mods needed for connector wiring but this seems to apply to 97MY+. Apparently, 96MY should require no mods.
Old 20 November 2006, 11:09 AM
Saxito VTR
Scooby Regular

MY97-98 swap the crank and cam sensor wires and inmobiliser if the car is a UK (or Euro) model.

https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain...am+crank+apexi
Old 20 November 2006, 11:28 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have a four plug ecu then no mods needed but I think you are saying you have a 3plug and will therefore need to alter the wiring.

Simon
Old 20 November 2006, 05:49 PM
MarkFitz
Scooby Regular

...cheers guys, - managed to figure out yesterday that i've got a 97/98MY ECU.
I swapped and moved signals (exactly as you said above) and after a warm-up on the oem ecu i plugged-in the apexi and started the engine.
Took maybe a crank or two more than usual to fire up and idle 'feels' a bit rich, but to be expected with a STI iv map i guess.
Old 20 November 2006, 07:06 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

You need to get it mapped ASAP.

Do NOT drive for prolonger periods, do NOT rag it.

The Jap car has a different MAF sensor and different sized injectors, and the PFC base map runs far too much ignition advance as standard to be safe on a UK 97 car running SUL fuel.

I guess you may know some or all of this already, but it doesn't hurt to make sure.

Paul
Old 21 November 2006, 12:48 AM
MarkFitz
Scooby Regular

no problem, paul - good advice is always appreciated. I've been using my partner's car while i set the scooby up for it's mapping session, the engine start/idle check was just to see if all went well with the loom mod, etc. The wideband went on tonight and tomorrow i'll fit the det-cans and check the timing.

As for mapping, i'm a calibrator by trade but, more importantly, i've got a mate who's been running his R33 reliably for a couple of years with a pfc to help out.

Could do with some re-assurance on my plan for the boost control. I've picked up 3-port (apexi) bcs second hand from a mate's S13. I've been advised to ditch the oem layout and plumb in the 3-port so that COM connects to the actuator and NO connects to the compressor out. By doing this i end up with a bleed to atm. instead of the original bleed to intake set-up.

Can i run this set-up using the pfc's internal boost-control? - i'd like to avoid buying an AVC-R just to run the 3-port and i'm not looking for more than 1.1bar until i sort the brakes out.

Cheers

Mark