Notices

Safe to drive 30 miles on giant new injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2006, 09:23 PM
oldhat
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe to drive 30 miles on giant new injectors?

I have an '95 EJ20G and a Power FC. I'm taking it to get dyno tuned tomorrow morning. I bought SARD 650cc injectors. Should I install them now or install them at the shop tomorrow morning? Is it safe to drive 30 miles to the shop on the stock ECU with the big injectors?

Also, does anyone have a link to a write up on how to install sidefeed injectors on an EJ20G?

Thanks!
Old 14 November 2006, 09:25 PM
Turbo_T
Scooby Regular

lookin for info on how 2 do them myself as im changein mine very soon 4 remap and would allso like to know if itys safe 2 drive on new injectors on way 2 remap
Old 15 November 2006, 11:57 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

When i preped my car for a Mapping & Power Fc with AndyF i installed fitted everything, I then drove 350 + Miles (Stock Ecu still in) on 550 injectors, Fmic, Z32 Maf Etc Etc, Andy said to keep off boost, So i did, It ran Ok, If you did try to Boost it would cough SPlutter & black smoke due to the obvious overfueling, So at 30 Miles you should be fine. If your fitting an Adjustable fuel pressure regulator you could reduce the fuel pressure to help with the larger injectors, Failing that the Ecu & lambda sensor should cope off boost.

Dean
Old 15 November 2006, 12:38 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had just started typing instructions on how to fit injectors to stick on my website.. only a draft so feel free to comment anyone.. if you are running a PFC then you can drop the injectors in the settings to compensate roughly for the new injectors to make it closer to correct than just fitting them and just drive off boost as said already.

How fit injectors

remove items to allow access to the injectors (header tank, maf / intake/ air filter, fmic pipe work etc).. depressure the fuel system..

remove the spark plugs.. ht leads / coil packs.. disconnect the crank sensor, unplug all four injectors..

undo the screws/bolts holding each injector in....

rotate the injector to break the grip the rail / orings have.. using a flat ended screwdriver carefully prise the injector up and out.. making sure you don't damage the rail or injector.

compare new injector to old and check it looks correct..

put some lube on the new injector orings (copper grease, vasoline etc).. without lube the orings often get damaged..
push the new injector in and fit the injector cap.. may need to remove or trim the rubber pad in the cap..

pressurise the fuel system by turning the ignition on (not the start position) a couple of times and check for leaks out of the injector tops if okay then spin the engine over ensuring spark related items are well out the way and disconnected.. check there is no fuel coming from the spark plug holes.. if fuel sprays out and continues to then you have a leak on the lower oring.. fix and retry..

If you have a fuel pressure gauge you can get away without removing the plugs but if you pressurise the fuel system after changing the injectors and the pressure gauge is not holding pressure you then need to remove the injector to refit it.. but which one is leaking?.. be aware all the fuel from the fuel rails is now pouring into the cylinder of the injector you remove and you must remove the spark plug from that cylinder otherwise you risk getting a hydraulic lock.

Simon
Old 15 November 2006, 01:45 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Sound Advice there Simon.

Fitting the Injectors at Home & following Simons Guidelines will prevent you driving Miles for a remap only to spend Hours Fitting & potentially diagnosing injector issues when you should be enjoying the Remap Session

Dean

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
I had just started typing instructions on how to fit injectors to stick on my website.. only a draft so feel free to comment anyone.. if you are running a PFC then you can drop the injectors in the settings to compensate roughly for the new injectors to make it closer to correct than just fitting them and just drive off boost as said already.

How fit injectors

remove items to allow access to the injectors (header tank, maf / intake/ air filter, fmic pipe work etc).. depressure the fuel system..

remove the spark plugs.. ht leads / coil packs.. disconnect the crank sensor, unplug all four injectors..

undo the screws/bolts holding each injector in....

rotate the injector to break the grip the rail / orings have.. using a flat ended screwdriver carefully prise the injector up and out.. making sure you don't damage the rail or injector.

compare new injector to old and check it looks correct..

put some lube on the new injector orings (copper grease, vasoline etc).. without lube the orings often get damaged..
push the new injector in and fit the injector cap.. may need to remove or trim the rubber pad in the cap..

pressurise the fuel system by turning the ignition on (not the start position) a couple of times and check for leaks out of the injector tops if okay then spin the engine over ensuring spark related items are well out the way and disconnected.. check there is no fuel coming from the spark plug holes.. if fuel sprays out and continues to then you have a leak on the lower oring.. fix and retry..

If you have a fuel pressure gauge you can get away without removing the plugs but if you pressurise the fuel system after changing the injectors and the pressure gauge is not holding pressure you then need to remove the injector to refit it.. but which one is leaking?.. be aware all the fuel from the fuel rails is now pouring into the cylinder of the injector you remove and you must remove the spark plug from that cylinder otherwise you risk getting a hydraulic lock.

Simon
Old 16 November 2006, 05:01 AM
oldhat
Scooby Newbie

Excellent, thanks for the responses all.

I also pushed my tune appointment back a couple of weeks so I can work on a few other things in the meantime.
Old 28 March 2008, 01:12 PM
kike_ej20
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oldhat
Excellent, thanks for the responses all.

I also pushed my tune appointment back a couple of weeks so I can work on a few other things in the meantime.
Are those Sards the yellow ones? How did the installation go?