Notices

Rage Racing Ground Wire System - wiring points?

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2006, 05:46 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rage Racing Ground Wire System - wiring points?

Evening all, just got my Rage Grounding Kit through the post off Scoobyparts.com.

Its come with some "Instruction" if you could call them that. I cant make much sense of it.

The Kit comprises of 7 rather chunky cables of varying lengths, a central wheel/Hub where all the cables connect to and a block that this wheel connects to - to fasten it onto the negative battery terminal.

Estimated Cable lengths -

2 x 3 foot long
2 x 2 1/2 foot long
1 x 2 foot long
1 x 1 1/2 foot long
1 x 1 foot long

Anyone got a picture of where these cables connect to in the engine bay? On a MY99 UK turbo. Or can guess where they fit by working out the cables lengths. I take it they all connect to this central wheel instead of daisy-chaining them throughout the engine bay one after another?

This might sound dumb but - if ive got this central hub that i need to connect onto the negative battery terminal, what do i do with the cable that already connects to the negative? Is it now surplus and can be forgotten about or do i need to connect it to this hub?

Will i also have to disconnect the positive battery terminal whilst im doing this job? Will the alarm go off once i reconnect the battery terminals?

Thanks all

Adam
Old 14 November 2006, 06:45 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

LEAVE the oem earth on the battery and connect the new lead to the neg and then to the distribution hub,Connect leads to o/s and n/s strut tops o/s and n/s of the manifold one to the alternator mounting and one to the ecu mounting bolt,some kits also connect an earth to the body earth above the gearbox.
Safe practise would be to disconnect the earth off the battery NOT LIVE while doing the job but with care shouldnt be a problem.You may find the alarm goes off on the battery back up if fitted ? But should be able to overide it with the key depending on system.
Old 14 November 2006, 07:23 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

OK mate, thanks for the help so far.

Im trying to follow what youve put. The distribution Hub goes over the Negative battery terminal so i wouldnt be able to connect any of the other cables to it.

Would i connect the Negative wire to the Hub possibly?

Are you saying that the battery has an earthing strap or are you refering to the negative lead? Sorry mate, im not much of a mechanic!!

Where is the ECU located?

"Safe practise would be to disconnect the earth off the battery NOT LIVE" - again with this do you mean the negative cable or something else?

Thanks again mate, sorry im so thick.

Adam
Old 15 November 2006, 12:58 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Anyone else know about this?

Thanks

Adam
Old 16 November 2006, 10:03 AM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

OK so ive got a good idea of where im putting the cables.

Im still a bit concerned with what im supposed to do with the original negative cable that is currently connected to the battery.

Am i OK to leave it hanging loose, considering that ill have 7 earthing points instead of just the one?

Where does the original negative battery cable go to? Could i disconnect it somehow?

Thanks

Adam
Old 16 November 2006, 10:11 AM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

LEAVE the original earth on the battery,it goes down to the gearbox earth bolt on the starter and should be a lot heavier(thicker) cable than your using in your earth kit.
Ive known these earth kits burn out if you take away the original earth due to the amp/current draw required by the starter.
So fit your earth distribution point onto the same lug as the original one and then star off from your hub with your EXTRA earth cables to the points listed earlier.
Old 16 November 2006, 01:03 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate, ill have to have a look at the car tonight as im not sure if the original earth wire will fit onto the negative lug once the new distribution point is fitted.

Ill post some pics up later if i can find my camera.

Thanks

Adam
Old 16 November 2006, 09:33 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

OK so i couldnt find my camera but i found some pictures of the same kit - just by a different company.

The Battery terminal Adaptor with the distribution plate fitted -

And the whole lot connected to the Battery - please note this is not fitted to a Subaru -

As you can see - im not sure how im supposed to leave the current earth cable attached to the negative stump and fit this Battery Terminal adaptor as well!!

Adam