Notices

A few little problems !

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2006, 06:28 PM
Dave1x2000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few little problems !

I wonder if anyone can help me, i have a my52 bugeye 38,000 miles, and i have a ckicking sound coming from the front passenger wheel . Sounds like a cv joint/ drive shaft but at this mileage ?, now someone says it is proberly the wheel bearing, can a wheel bearing click ? i thought they whine ? any idea's
Old 10 November 2006, 08:16 PM
HowieG
Scooby Regular

Not entirely sure, but I had a similar thing a couple of months ago - 01 WRX, 40,000 miles.

There was a knocking noise when I was on and off the gas. It was diagnosed as a CV joint. You could see the movement when it was on the ramp and the clutch was engaged.

I bought what I was told was the part and asked my local garage to fit it. They stripped it down only to find that I had been supplied with the wrong part. Since I needed the car the next day, I asked them to put it back together and I would get the correct part direct from Subaru.

When I collected the car the knocking noise was gone. I've done a trackday and a few thousand miles since with no problems. I can only imagine that something was loose and in the process has been tightened. The garage also couldn't determine what it was!

I should say that before the CV was diagnosed, the garage said it was the front drop links. These were replaced and the noise remained.

Hope it's of some help!

Howard
Old 11 November 2006, 12:10 AM
Yamarashi
Scooby Regular

Worn CV joints on a 2 wheel drive normally show themselves by clicking when turning a tight corner one way and not the other (unless both are worn of course!) I assume it would be the same on a 4 wheel drive. Depending on the type of clicking you actually have .... it could simply be a stone/nail in the tyre? or rattling pads ... I'm sure it not, but sometimes the simple things get overlooked.