Notices

Can I relocate lamba from headers to downpipe??

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2006, 05:52 PM
988wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can I relocate lamba from headers to downpipe??

Hi,

I have a 1995 jap import Wrx and have just bought a decat downpipe, just lately i have been getting quite a lot of knocklink activity showing and am concerned it might be the lamba sensor playing up, now my questions are as follows....

1, will a lamba sensor made to fit the pre96 headers (exhaust manifold) fit in the same hole thats at the top of my decat downpipe??

2,if i get a new lamba sensor to fit in the hole in my decat can i cut off the wires that is connected to my existing lamba in the headers and connect the wires up to the new lamba in the downpipe??

anybody done this already???

any help would be most appreciated

Thanks

Jim
Old 05 November 2006, 06:09 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

1. yes
2. You can use a spare lamba sensor (old not working) in the headers, no need to worry about the wiring. Or get a suitable bung (large nut)
You can unclip the original lamba wires in the headers & carefully re-route these to the lamba sensor in the decat dp. No need to chop the wires up etc.
Old 05 November 2006, 06:16 PM
988wrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers Ticky,

Any helpful advice on best way to get at the lamba in the headers? looks like there is no room to get at it at all, is it best to remove the plastic wheel arch lining??

Jim
Old 05 November 2006, 06:34 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by 988wrx
Cheers Ticky,

Any helpful advice on best way to get at the lamba in the headers? looks like there is no room to get at it at all, is it best to remove the plastic wheel arch lining??

Jim
I would do it from underneath the car. There is normally a special socket which removes the sensor with the heatsheilds still in place. With standard tools you will need to remove the heatsheilds off the headers first. Its been a while since I last done this so not sure if removing part of the plastic wheel arch will make the job easier.
I cut a slot around the heatsheild & lamba as I was going to port & wrap the headers anyway.

Ticky